ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 376 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Stu T Offline OP
I am meeting with the head city building official (former head electrical inspector) tomorrow or Thursday. I put a call into my state electrical inspector and I,m hoping that he will call me back tomorrow.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks to all

L
There is a hand sink behind this counter

Again. How far away?

I still think,How much does it cost? As opposed to your sleeping at nite? if a $14 GFI is gonna cost you the job....
You don't need that customer.

But I do understand the conversation (it is a good one). I feel the entire 'Space' is a commercial kitchen.
Based on the fast food places I have seen.

Most of them--cook hands the food to counter help- counter help has all the trays of onions,pickles, etc. right there. that is food prep. Non-residential kitchen.

S
Stu T Offline OP
It,s a bit more complicated. There are 7 circuits involved, some are twist locks, supplying food warmers, can not use GFCI breakers because the distribution panel is a GE bolt-in (last I checked bolt-ins where not available as GFCIs) plus there are many multi wire branch circuits involved. The only real way to provide GFCI protection is to replace all the one gang bell boxes with 2 gang an add faceless GFCIs. So you see it's not all that easy to provide GFCI protection.

Thanks

Stu

L
We need all the info. Now we have it.
THQ are easy to find in GFCI (they used to be any way).Just not at the box stores.

Twist lock smisht lock. all 15 & 20 Amp 120 v rec must be GFCI protected.

But I'm not your inspector.

Stu- Are you trying to talk us out of it? or you into it?

smile

Cat Servant
This is beginning to sound like a good example of what happens when the original design was inadequate.

I think we've all seen it .... a strip mall is built, units are rented out, and over time the theants change. Each tenant patches in the least possible to scrape by; after a few cycles, the wiring is a mess, with all manner of things cobbled together.

Even when the tenant is working directly with you at the start of the job, it can be a real chore getting them to tell you what equipment goes where, or learning exactly what the electrical needs of the equipment is.

At some point, you have to give the customer the news: he cheaped out yesterday, so today is going to cost him. If that means working midnights and days off to rip out the cludge and do it over, so be it. If you have to set a panel, too bad.

A final caution: be VERY aware of cleaning requirements and health department rules. The NEC isn't the only code out there!

N
Originally Posted by Stu T
It,s a bit more complicated. There are 7 circuits involved, some are twist locks, supplying food warmers, can not use GFCI breakers because the distribution panel is a GE bolt-in (last I checked bolt-ins where not available as GFCIs) plus there are many multi wire branch circuits involved. The only real way to provide GFCI protection is to replace all the one gang bell boxes with 2 gang an add faceless GFCIs. So you see it's not all that easy to provide GFCI protection.

Thanks

Stu

Look for THQB GFCI breakers they are avail.

Last edited by NORCAL; 09/09/09 10:32 AM.
Try this link.......

http://www.beverlyhillselectric.com/thqb.html

They are readily available

Stu:
FWIW, as an EC, I worked for quite a few country clubs over 25+ yrs. Through many renovations, the GFI questions arrived, and to make long stories short....we did what we had to do. (Period)

Faceless adjacent to TL, or adjacent to the panel. Replaced panels, etc., etc.

As to fast food places (typ) it was the same scenario.

Basically, a decision as to finishing the job, or waiting to go to the Board of Appeals (NJ)

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard