ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
dmok82 Offline OP
Is there anything proposed from OSHA madating 100% fall protection when climbing utility poles?

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
R
Subpart V of 29 CFR 1926.
1926.951 covers tools and protective equipment.
1926.959 talks about Lineman's body belts, safety straps, and lanyards.
You should be able to read all about it somewhere in the depths of www.osha.gov

J
The co-op i work for is moving towards 100% fall protection, and many utilities have already made that move. Since everyone is doing it on their own (for obvious reasons) it wouldn't surprise me if OSHA included it in the near future.

I still have my own pole belt.
If you are working at the top of a pole, what do you attach to?, with respect to fall protection?

J

G
What is a good harness for guys working on a roof?

Greg Fretwell
F
fgp Offline
Fall Protection For Construction Area And Roofing
OSHA Regulation 29 CFR Parts 1910 and 1926 covers fall protection safety standards for the construction industry. These safety standards which regulate fall protection systems and procedures where ammended and set final in 1995. These systems and procedures are intended to prevent workers from falling off, onto or through working levels thus setting protective measures to minimize or eliminate accidents in the work place.

Congress amended the Contract Work Hours Standards Act (40 U.S.C. 327 et seq.) in 1969 by adding a new section 107 (40 U.S.C. 333) to provide employees in the construction industry with a safer work environment and to reduce the frequency and severity of construction accidents and injuries. The amendment, commonly known as the Construction Safety Act (CSA) [P.L. 91-54; August 9, 1969], significantly strengthened employee protection by requiring the promulgation of occupational safety and health standards for employees of the building trades and construction industry working on Federally-financed or Federally-assisted construction projects. Accordingly, the Secretary of Labor issued Safety and Health Regulations for Construction in 29 CFR Part 1518 (36 FR 7340, April 17, 1971) pursuant to section 107 of the Contract Work Hours and Safety Standards Act.

The Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act) (84 Stat. 1590; 29 U.S.C. 651 et seq.), was enacted by Congress in 1970 and authorized the Secretary of Labor to adopt established Federal standards issued under other statutes, including the Construction Safety Act, as occupational safety and health standards. Accordingly, the Secretary of Labor adopted those Construction Standards, which had been issued under the Construction Safety Act in 29 CFR Part 1518, as OSHA standards in accordance with section 6(a) of the OSH Act (36 FR 10466, May 29, 1971). The Safety and Health Regulations for Construction were redesignated as Part 1926 later in 1971 (36 FR 25232, December 30, 1971).

OSHA adopted several regulations related to fall protection under section 6(a) of the OSH Act. In particular, the Agency adopted the standards which currently appear in subpart E, Personal Protective Equipment, (including Sec. 1926.104 — Safety Belts, Lifelines, and Lanyards and Sec. 1926.105 — Safety Nets) and in subpart M, Floor and Wall Openings and Stairways. Subpart M has been amended several times under section 6(b) of the OSH Act.

Miller (Sperian) makes a harness specifically for roofing. Actually its a kit. Its called Titan Roofing Fall Protection Kits. Checkout this link

http://www.asasupplies.com/titan-roofing-fall-protection-kits-p-386.html

Tags: construction safety, fall protection, roofing, safety

Cat Servant
I think dmok82 was asking: Is there anything to the rumors that OSHA will be changing the rules for linemen climbing poles?"

Link Copied to Clipboard