ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18837 12/15/02 01:43 PM
T
Hi, all. I've been hanging around here for a few months, learning, trying to contribute, and now I have some questions.

One is as follows.

A GFCI receptacle, such as this one
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]
is listed as a 15 amp receptacle, 20 amps feed-through.

I take this to mean that receptacles that are attached to the LOAD side of the GFCI (that is, those receptacles that would be after the GFCI, so if the GFCI trips, those receptacles would also loose power) can be 20 amp receptacles.

If this is the case, why wouldn't the GFCI receptacle be rated at 20 amps, appearing as such [Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

I am having trouble comprehending how a device rated at 15 amps can be on a circuit with a 20 amp breaker. Does that not present a hazard of the receptacle overheating? (Not just in this example of GFCI, but on a circuit that would have a 20 amp breaker, 12 AWG cable, but receptacles rated for 15 amps. Doesn't that allow for overheating of the receptacle and/or that which is powered by it?)

I look forward to your informative answers.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 12-15-2002).]

S
ThinkGood,

actually i believe our Canadian friends here would agree with you, we in the US just depend on 'diversity' a tad more...

~S

E
ThinkGood,

Hey, I notice that you install your receptacles U-ground up. [Linked Image]

I'm with you, man.

Ed

C
FWIW, the moulding of a spent GFCI recepticle
I dissected, had the t-slot so with minor
modification to the mould could make it a 20A, howver I don't think the contacts could
accept a horizontal prong.

H
Thinkgood,

What I believe is that the receptacle face is rated for 15 amps at that receptacle, however you are allowed to let a 20 amp load pass through the GFI receptacle. You could find 20 amp GFI rated receptacles which also allow 20 amp feed through. The NEC also allows 15 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit because there is a duplex outlet. If however you only installed 1 recptacle outlet on a 20 amp receptacle, then it would have to be rated for 20 amps. We use to call the 20 amp recptacles "T" rated, because of the "T" shaped slots.

Harold

T
Thanks, all, for the replies. I thought that it was probably a matter of just the face of the receptacle rather than the "guts."

Mr. Endean: Are you referring to these?
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

Electric ed: I saw one photo here with the cover that had shorted a plug. That was enough to convince me.

classicsat: dissecting GFCIs sounds like fun, just as long as nobody got hurt. What caused it to become "spent?" I keep hearing about the low-quality models not lasting long and/or not working properly. We're talking LIVES here, Mr./Ms. Manufacturer!!!

S
Where do you get your great clipart?

T
Thank you. I was into web development until I got "downsized." I grab from here and there on the non copyrighted stuff, and then combine it as needed. Feel free to grab any of it.

'Lectric was always a hobby of mine. I am very serious about pursuing a career in the field. Trouble is that "experience needed" I see in the want ads. I am hoping to get over to the union as soon as some documentation comes in to show that I took algebra in school.

I know I can't save the world but I would like to make a difference. I am soaking in a whole lot of knowledge here and I can tell the difference between the professionals here and people with whom I have talked on the telephone or in person, who are just out to make a quick buck.

C
Lightning or someting blew the transistor that engaged the tripping solenoid.

B
I have wondered if this topic would resurface - Which way is up? I also thought of a solution - either way could be up if the receptacles were slightly changed. Are there reasons (grounding, code, etc?) why this wouldn't work? (sending image to ECN & will correct link asap)

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 12-16-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard