ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by TOOL_5150
Geez look at all that stainless steel!

~Matt

Yeah mate,
If anyone ever wants to get into fitting these sheds, expect to have good TIG welding skills.
I thought I was a good TIG welder before one of the fitters asked me to weld up a 4" 90 degree bend to a straight length of pipe, down in a pit full of water, the filler rod kept getting caught on the edge of the pit and turning the thing was a real nuisance, as the straight pipe had been run through a length of 6" PVC as a ducting when the concrete floor was poured.

At least I had water to wash the pickling acid off the weld, which is usually a rarity in a new shed, I just rung my overalls out. frown

Trumpy #180806 09/11/08 03:20 PM
R
Great photo's Mike, That South Island sunset is truely beautifull.
Interesting stuff you do there, amazing machinery with all those automatic options.
I noticed the double sleeving on the wiring to the meter when front mounted. (new rules?)
Our house computer has completely crashed, (misses recovered instead of restore hard drive, so all data gone) so I acces ECN from work and had some extra time to read some more posts etc.

Thanks, Ray

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by RODALCO
That South Island sunset is truely beautiful.

Umm, as mentioned above, it's actually a sun-rise. wink

I noticed the double sleeving on the wiring to the meter when front mounted.

Funny you should point that out, Ray, that cable would normally be provided and installed by the local lines company, they found out I was doing the shed so they got me to install the cable from the transformer and the earth stake at the same time as well as the metering, GRRR.
Talk about taking liberties! grin
I'm not sure why I sleeve the 3 phase wires red, it's just a habit I have with temporary supplies.

Last edited by Trumpy; 09/12/08 03:12 AM. Reason: Bad UBB tags
Trumpy #182990 12/20/08 11:04 PM
G
Our company won't allow cameras in the plant, but here's a short list of the odd things here at work:

400 VDC static discharge precipitators, 40 ft tall and 10 feet square, made in 1960s

Anything in the mine powered by electricity is fed from "mobile" 4160vac transformers and there are several mobile 480vac xfmers at each heading

480vac control voltage starters on about half the motors, etc...not for the faint of heart

Other than that just boilers, oil heater and the like that the mechanics are afraid of...here if the wrench boys don't like it we do it

Sometimes not getting what you want can be an incredible stroke of luck.
G
OOPs...I forgot the KV in the output DC of the precipitator, it's actually 53.6 KV. We just had to change out the 100 HP fan that draws the air through this thing.

Sometimes not getting what you want can be an incredible stroke of luck.
Trumpy #188204 07/25/09 01:22 AM
Administrator
(posted for John Bowers)

Some background: I came from commercial electrical to work for a private utility in their hydropower division. Our facilities are all "alternative" energy so they're very small by traditional generation standards. The plant in these photos consists of two horizontally mounted 10 megawatt, 4160 volt synchronous generators running at 120 RPM.

The first picture is the generator itself. The three conduits coming out of the top are the 4,160V feeder conductors. The rotor field conductors enter on the other side. This unit is air cooled, with ambient air being drawn through the screens on the face and forced out through the two centrifugal fans mounted on the top of the unit.

The cylinder to the right of the generator is the thrust bearing: the turbine is further to the right of that, and the action of the water against the turbine pushes the whole shaft towards the generator. The thrust bearing keeps this force off the generator. (The three conduits in the foreground are the feeders for our second generator, identical to the one in the picture.) - (see below)

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

The second picture is the casing on the turbine (taken from above looking down). The turbine itself consists of a runner blade that looks like a massive boat propeller, located under the shell on the right, and is responsible for spinning the turbine shaft. The water flow through the runner blade is controlled by wicket gates, which rotate open or closed.

Each of the gray cylinders on the left represents the end of a wicket gate. The gray cylinders are rotated by the movement of those angled arms. The arms are all turned in tandem by that common ring they are connected to.

An interesting note: Sometimes debris passes through the unit and can get caught between the individual wickets. If you tried to close the gates on the debris, it could damage the wicket. To keep that from happening, you can see how one side of each angled arm is tapered to a "V", this is actually a shear point; designed to fail before the wicket gate does. - (see below)

The third picture is the shaft coupling between the turbine shaft and the generator shaft. This is normally under a guard, but exposed for repair. The orange end of the shaft is the turbine shaft, the turbine is being driven by river water on the other side of that wall. The gray end of the shaft is the generator shaft.

On the left you can see the edge of the thrust bearing that was in picture 1. The bolts in those pictures are called "Super Bolts", they allow the bolts to handle a total torque of several million pounds, but each bolt can be properly tightened by hand. - (see below)

And the fourth picture is our our switchboard with our control and protective relaying scheme. All the black rectangles are precisely calibrated relays that monitor various conditions and sound alarms or will shut the machines down automatically depending on the condition.

While this was state-of-the-art when the plant was built, it will eventually all be replaced by a PLC system that could sit on a table-top. If you look closely you can see that one unit is running and one unit is offline: For "NO.1 GENERATOR" the two white lights and the red light indicate a unit in "parallel" which means it's sychronized with the utility and generating power.

Now, far to the right where the yellow tag is, you can just make out one green light and two white lights. This indicates the unit is "stopped" and thus offline and in a safe condition. In our plant, red actually means "go". - (see below)

Hope you enjoyed it. I'll try to get some pictures of our older generating plants for you guys next. They're turn-of-the-century systems and pretty wild in their own right.

-John

Admin #188210 07/25/09 04:14 AM
Not something that I do for work, but I got to go on a PoCo-sponsored (Portland General Electric) tour of a hydro plant and a wind farm. Pictures are located here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/noderaser/sets/72157617691920124/

The wind farm is Biglow Canyon, a project with Vestas and Siemens turbines in the Columbia River Gorge near Wasco and Rufus, Oregon. Its design capacity (when completed) will be 400 MW. It is located on private farmland; the turbines and substation are owned by Portland General Electric.

The dam is Bonnveille Dam, the lowest dam on the Columbia River, which first opened in 1937. After a second powerhouse was constructed in 1981, it now has a design capacity of 1100 MW. It is owned and operated by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Distribution and sale of the power from both facilities is done by the Bonneville Power Administration.

B
Originally Posted by noderaser
I got to go on a PoCo-sponsored (Portland General Electric) tour of a hydro plant....
Oh, man, I see how it is! Sort of a "my hydro-plant is bigger than your hydro-plant" competition! grin grin

-John

PGE does have their own hydro facilities, but Bonneville belongs to Uncle Sam...

Didn't mean to steal your thunder... Had meant to post those a while ago, but forgot and your post reminded me.

Last edited by noderaser; 07/28/09 03:38 AM.
Trumpy #188269 07/28/09 04:50 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
And now for something completely different.

This from Alan Belson:
Being retired, I keep myself busy making stuff.
Here's some projects, some still not complete:

Staircase, oak and walnut: 35 degree pitch, "T" turns at sublanding, double-snail, continuous handrail, tapered walnut balusters and tapered oak newels with turned walnut inserts. Flying treads swept into stringers both sides, fielded risers. = 1000 hours plus:

Upstairs floor, heated, Cedar of Lebanon, from a tree downed by a storm in 1999. Planked and air dried for 6 years then machined. Cedar of L. stairwell case, 14" boards, revealed joist tenons. All finishes by Mrs B: Danish Oil or clear 2-pot melamine lacquer, 'T Cut' to a mirror finish. This is my eleventh staircase in ten years, usually I make them for friends:

Ground Floor, heated, 18" square ceramic tiles. You can see the heating controls behind the staircase, with the twin wireless thermostat receivers controlling the zones. The transmitters go anywhere you like. We like 'em in the same room!:

The wainscott panelling and window sill are in quarter-sawn oak. The sill is not fixed, it slides into rabbits in the edge mouldings to allow natural movement of the timber. The turned knobs are actually cleats to hold the cords from the handmade Roman blinds. Silver tray, 2 euros at a garage sale, 1930's Sheffield rolled plate:

Woodburner; cast-iron foyer set into a copy of a 'traditional' French brickwork and plaster chimney piece. The fireplace stonework is original, 1668.
The upper grill is a hot air outlet, made from an old 'Singer' sewing machine treadle.The carved Cherry frieze over the mantle came from an 19C bed, too small to be of use today. Note the Lois XIVth clock:

Another 9 years and it might be all finished!

regards, Alan.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard