ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
EV607797 #187993 07/16/09 05:11 PM
K
What I often see is the only people who do things correctly are the ones who know and adhere to the rules. Those who don't know the rules obviously don't see any harm in what they are doing.

I would argue that while these threads are full of unsafe ways to do things, you also can find here alternate but safe ways to do things that are not allowed by the "rules".

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

kale #188016 07/17/09 01:35 PM
E
Kale:

I was actually referring more to the original picture where a pullchain switch had been placed through a hole in a toggle switch face plate. I'm sure it worked, but I seriously doubt that the leads on that switch were any larger than #18.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
EV607797 #188018 07/17/09 02:13 PM
W
The pullchain probably won't cause an incident, but it would likely work itself loose after several on-off cycles. Then being loose may cause a splice inside the box to break, and so on, to create a hazardous condition.

Oh, you've likely seen wiring done so bad that you could accuse the installer of attempted arson, but this shed switch kludge would be classified as "mildly hazardous". Even if it has odds of 1 to 10,000 of causing an incident in a year, that would still mean that if that kludge existed in each of the, say, 100 million dwellings nationwide, you'd have 10,000 incidents every year. Which is way too many, so the code is written to get that down to just a few incidents a year. Or none at all.

wa2ise #212024 12/02/13 05:06 PM
F
Not to resurrect this thread from the ashes, but as I was reading, I turn my thoughts to the relatively new AFCI devices that are now code mandate. I understand the reason for the desire to have made them a requirement. But in this case is the code not catering to stupid people ? It will prevent that person from burning their house down who doesn't mind their extension cord or their appliance cord that is obviously past it's usable life. I'd like to hear some discussion about that. Because there may be other reasons for their employ, I just may not be aware of it. In relation to the thought of too much safety, as crazy as that thought is.

-John

Flux #212025 12/02/13 06:57 PM
T
AFCI devices are not going to object to that Yankee's ingenious 'solution' for there is no arc faulting failure.

The problem with that particular install is that there is no suitable OCPD up the line. Consequently, there'd be no logical reason why one could not overload the conductors, melt through the insulation so quickly that a flame started before even an AFCI tripped.

If the short is SMOOTH and regular, the logic of an AFCI is going to see the cook off as merely a 'hot plate' pure resistance load.

AFCI are going to object to universal motors much more readily -- the commutator -- of course.

One simply can NOT use conductors undersized versus OCPD -- unless the tap rules are obeyed.

Beyond that, as previously commented, the slack installation is not going to stay tight under use. Of all the flaws I've witnessed in installations -- loose EMT, boxes, fittings come at the TOP of the list for hazard. They are the source of rubbed conductors and frayed terminations. When not correctly bonded, they are the source of electrocutions. They happen ALL the time -- typically killing a kid so young as to not recognize that something's gone amiss with the electrical system.

=====

Beyond that, the trade, generally, does NOT favor DIY kludge-ups -- if only for economic reasons. With knowledge comes realization: the DIY crowd is dancing with death -- and dares not know it.

Lousy DIY plumbing attempts reveal themselves as drips and ugly noises. No-one dies.

Lousy DIY electrical installations are not apparent to most -- and the perils include loss of structure and loss of life.

Add to that the commonplace DIY attempt to work on hot circuits! DIY are willing to take chances that no experienced hand would tollerate.

Tesla
JoeKP #212030 12/02/13 11:41 PM
Flux:
Whatever subject youmay want tostart a discussion on, just start a newthread in 'Discussion' or Code

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard