ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#187496 06/28/09 11:29 PM
T
thiggy Offline OP
I have an old family farm house with a 125 amp Square D breaker box. The service disconnect is a 100 amp Square D cartridge fuse. I have never had the main blow, but I decided that I better have a spare pair of fuses on hand just in case, as in this rural area it would be difficult to locate one in a hurry. I drove to the nearest city and located fuses at Lowes, but I am not sure which one of the two types they had should be used for my application. The heavy-duty time-delay one said it is "for motor and main panel protection. (FRN-R)" It indicated that "for lighting or electric heating circuits use general purpose fuses.(NON)" I use window AC units for cooling, and 1500 watt portable heaters for infrequent use in winter heating. Water heaters are also electric. (This is generally just a week-end house.) Which type of fuse would be the most appropriate for my use?

G
I would go with the FRN.
That will tolerate a short time spike in current.
The biggest opportunity for a spike in current is when you have a power glitch and the service would see locked rotor from every motor that was running at that time.

Greg Fretwell
Yeah,
I agree with Greg.
You really need something with a bit of time delay on it for a main fuse.
After all, the fuse/CB that is electrically closest to the fault (ie, a sub-circuit fuse/CB) should operate first, in any electrical system.
Anything less is poor design.

You answered your own question.

The heavy-duty time-delay one said it is "for motor and main panel protection. (FRN-R)"

T
thiggy Offline OP
Thanks for the responses. I shall go with the time delay fuse. (I actually bought two of both types with the intention of returning one pair after I determined which type I should use.)

J
JBD Offline
There is almost no reason to ever install an NON fuse. For all intents NONs are old technology, and are almost always sold based on price only.

G
We used NONs to protect electronics and there was even a faster blowing fuse that we used for the input to switcher power supplies way back when they were a big cabinet full very expensive parts.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard