ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#187422 06/26/09 01:59 PM
G
I think the time may have finally come when these make sense. I know I was slow to come around but the government is throwing money at it and collector prices are coming down. I can virtually get my collectors for free now.
One of the problems is they only want to pay for government blessed systems, not home built systems and I think that is a mistake. We are not going to get much innovation if they only subsidize what is already out there but that is another rant.
Florida will pay $4 a watt for anything over 2 KW and I am looking at a DC system to run a pool pump That is a very simple system, no inverter, no storage. My problem is it is only 750-1000w so I need to come up with another KW or so to get my rebate and I am thinking about another traditional system, around 1-1.5kw, to run my well pumps, the pool bar fridge and the other loads out there. If there is enough left over, maybe feeding my PCs that run all the time. They are on UPS so if I did have to switch back to utility power it would be non-disruptive. The part I probably have to find is the smart controller for this that does the transfer function in a listed, compliant way.
Anyone ever done something like this?
There would also have to be some load management so the fridge and the well pumps were interlocked but that is not that big a deal.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #187423 06/26/09 02:11 PM
L
Most grid tie inverters are all set to directly tie to the grid. If the grid goes away, the inverter opens up the utility connection.

Larry C

LarryC #187428 06/26/09 07:02 PM
G
I am not thinking about grid tie at all, too much hassle for too little gain. I just want transfer equipment that will switch to utility when my batteries are low and I really only plan on a minimal amount of battery, perhaps only enough to run my well pumps.
Another thing I would connect direct would be attic ventilation, perhaps with a DC motor. I am really trying to keep this as simple as possible.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #187431 06/26/09 09:02 PM
L
Without the grid tie, I suspect getting the rebate will be very hard.

If all of the loads are on a sub panel fed by a transfer switch, connect the grid tie inverter to the sub panel. When the PoCo goes away the inverter continues to feed the sub panel.

You will just figure out a way to get the inverter to supply the load with no utility present. Perhaps some sort of contact on the transfer switch to prove no utility connection?

LarryC #187433 06/26/09 09:55 PM
G
I am still trying to get some real info on the rebate but I haven't seen anything about requiring a grid tie yet, either on the federal or state program. I do have a feeling any "innovation" will have to happen after the government blesses the system. I imagine I will end up buying something off the shelf and then going from there. I do have an engineer and a GC who will do their part to get this blessed. I will pull the electrical permit myself.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #187451 06/27/09 01:54 AM
G
I did dig out the certification process and it does appear they are leaning toward grid tied systems but they do recognize stand alone systems for off grid applications. I am now trying to see if you can do an "off grid systems" to serve selected loads in a house on the grid.
This is the process in Florida if anyone is interested.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/solar%20pv%20approval%20process%20Fla.pdf

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #187474 06/27/09 09:06 PM
T
In my state the PV system must be tied into the grid to get the rebates and tax credits.

Tesla
Tesla #187483 06/28/09 03:14 AM
G
I think the criteria is stupid if they want masses of people saving energy.
One of the biggest single power hogs here is the pool pump and a solar PV system that uses a DC motor is the simplest system you can have but they won't give you a break on it. That is just stupid.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #187531 06/30/09 01:13 AM
C
You don't think masses of people "conserving" is really what they want do you? You seem a bit more savvy than that to me.

Its about building infrastructure in a PC blessed manner, on your property. Complete with "right to inspect" disclosures.

The last thing they want is for you to take their rebates and go off-grid with them.

Sorry if I seem cynical, but I am.

ChicoC10 #187532 06/30/09 03:10 AM
G
They do bless some totally off grid systems.
I have a question open as we speak with the folks who certify systems asking why they won't encourage the pool pump system.
It is the simplest PV system you can get. No batteries, no inverters, no grid ties. Just collectors spinning a motor when the sun is shining.
It would save about 3-4 megawatt hours per pool per year and 22% of Florida homes have a pool. That is 15-20% of my electric bill.
That could be a whole power plant they don't need to build when you average that across the state.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard