ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
PG county Maryland. Much south of that "permit" was a fish

Greg Fretwell
C
Through the trees? That's more professional than most of the orange cord jobs I've come across. Usually they are posing a trip hazard as well. That is if they actually used a cord instead of fabbing one up out of romex.

There is a difference between what I'm saying and that though.

BTW 120 sq. ft. is what needs a permit around here.

Last edited by ChicoC10; 06/25/09 07:32 PM.
Funny thing them "semi-permanent sheds" they sell at the DIY stores.
I remember there was a particularly windy day over here last year, we saw one of these things flying over the main highway with the "wiring" straggling behind it.

We were returning back to the fire station in a fire appliance, after a call to nail down roofing iron (corrugated steel sheets) that had lifted in the wind.

To see a whole "shed" fly across a busy highway, was nothing less than enthralling and scary at the same time.

My very loose interpretation of a shed, is a structure that is permanently affixed to a concrete slab and a bottom plate of enough strength to hold it down under all weather conditions.

It actually makes me wonder if things like this are designed to be wired, the tin foil thin walls and lack of real structural strength only serves to re-inforce my thoughts.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Trumpy #187418 06/26/09 12:59 PM
G
I thought Florida building codes were draconian when I first moved here but now I laugh when I hear these stories and remember houses with serious wind damage in summer "storms" we would call a shower here.
A lot of people balk at the idea that a shed needs to be built to the same standard as a house but the issue is not the shed, it is the house next door that gets hit by the flying shed and all it's contents.
Not only is the bottom plate going to be tied to the foundation, the roof will too via the metal connectors in the framing or the steel in the block/concrete matrix.

Greg Fretwell
S
If you plan on putting any receptacles in the shed, it's going to have to have GFCI protection. The code does not require lighting circuits to be on GFCI, but it does not prohibit it, either.

One point of considering I didn't see brought up is the exception in NEC that allows a 20A GFCI-protected circuit to be buried as shallow as 12" without having to step up to RGC or a concrete cap. If that's all you need, and the GFCI outlet is easily accessible if you ever trip it, there's really no reason not to GFCI protect the entire feeder.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard