ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Cat Servant
There are two matters to consider.

First, with the sole exception of elevator pits, the NEC does not require GFCI protection to be either at the breaker or the first receptacle. (Elevator pits must have a GFCI receptacle).

Second, as I've often pointed out, you need to know more than the NEC. In this instance, the running of power to the shed may require you to get a permit for the shed.

As for the shed being "portable," that is something to consider in your design. I have seen too many sheds merilly cartwheeling across the freeway on windy days! You might consider using a "power inlet" device to connect an extension cord to the shed. Or, as another mentioned, mounting the receptacle on a post near the shed.

The NEC wording is unfortunate; I would consider GFCI protection mandatory regardless of whether the shed has a floor, or not.

As a side note, there are now receptacles that have 'night lights' built in. I would consider adding one of these, just to indicate whether the power is 'on.' I also might consider one of those twist-knob timers to help prevent accidentally leaving the power 'on.'

G
It is simple in Florida. A shed is a structure and you need a permit. It also has to meet the wind code so you need engineered/stamped plans. Those rubbermaid and sheet metal deals at the home store are not legal.
There is no such thing as a temporary shed.
It will also require a permit if you take power out there and it will have to be GFCI.

YMMV depending on how diligent your code enforcement officers are and how nosy your neighbor is.
The guy across the street from me did get busted. (10 days to tear it down, bring it into compliance or pay $250 "dailies").
Fortunately the guy who ratted him out moved but that didn't help the neighbor.

Greg Fretwell
JoeKP Offline OP
this shed has already been installed and wired, i am just adding a few outlets, and removing some of the previous hacks

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
JoeKP #187232 06/17/09 10:31 PM
JoeKP Offline OP
this shed has been up for about 3-4 years as well, and as far as i know, i think the last permit pulled in that house was back in 1993

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
E
Originally Posted by gfretwell
It is simple in Florida. A shed is a structure and you need a permit. It also has to meet the wind code so you need engineered/stamped plans. Those rubbermaid and sheet metal deals at the home store are not legal.
There is no such thing as a temporary shed.

Around here, a permit for a shed is only required if it is over 120 square feet or over 8 feet high. It then must either utilize some form of permanent footings or in the case of a pre-built unit, mobile home tie-downs at each corner are acceptable. When I had pulled a permit for mine, I had to explain to the inspector how these tie downs work since he had never seen them!

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
"I consider them a plug-in appliance."

Interesting.....I think that's a stretch of a vivid imiganation!

John
G
The issue here is wind. In a hurricane, or even an afternoon squall, one of those temporary sheds tends to be an airborne missile.
I know they don't understand wind codes up north. That is why any decent storm results in a lot of wind damage.

Greg Fretwell
C
Interesting.....I think that's a stretch of a vivid imiganation!

It may be a bit creative but not as creative as some of the shed or even garage wiring I've seen. I'm not rewriting code here, just trying to cover my butt.

If it isn't a permanent structure I'd rather insure that the actual premise wiring to it is legal, GFI protected, and easily disconnected. Let's face it, the owner is going to do whatever he wants to the wiring inside once I leave.

High wind isn't a constant threat around here and there are a lot sheet metal and plastic sheds around. But we did have a really windy day last year that could have and probably did send some sheds flying. Seems if they were cord and plug connected nobody would have to make an emergency call to an electrician if they did go wandering.

If it is a permanent building, what I would call a garage or shop, and the larger wooden shed kits qualify as that IMO, then lets wire it right and close up the bays with OSB or drywall.

G
If this whole shed is "cord and plug connected" then the answer is simple, the receptacle it plugs into has to be GFCI because it is "outdoors". 210.8(A)(3)

This was really very common up north, usually done with an orange cord strung through the trees. It was all part of that "temporary" thinking.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Where exactly 'up north' are you refering to??

Sheds here (over 100 sq ft) require permits. Power/ltg to it requires a permit. Ah, but that's in a perfect world. I am not aware of any anchoring of the <100 sq ft units, and yes, I have seen a few the wind got to.

John
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard