ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 23 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#187198 06/17/09 12:29 AM
L
leland Offline OP
So on Saturday,i met a man who is in the business. A former roofer. He started his business and hires out all electrical,with the exception of the panel install.

He informed me (thru discussion) that the local IBEW got passed thru the state that only electricians (jman and above)can install the solar panels.

Fortunately,I've been away since,on a motorcycle holiday ( smile )and have had no chance (or need) to confirm this.

This is in ma.. has anyone else heard of such a thing?
Or rumblings in their community?

R
Hey Leland...
There is truth to this, however the union did not get it "passed" as it has always been in the code book and regarded as electricians work.
There were some companies trying to circumvent the licensing board to get this work "unregulated" as far as licensing goes so they could put anybody up on a roof to install these and then just have a licensed electrician do the final connections.
The union has simply pushed to keep this work for qualified, licensed electricians to install.

G
No offense guys but I think I want a roofer drilling the holes in my roof (and patching them back up again)
I agree an electrician should be hooking up the collectors but I want a roofer installing them.

Greg Fretwell
R
The collectors don't don't mount to the roof, they mount to racks which mount to plates that are secured to the roof. There are products designed that can be screwed to the rafters and the screws pull butyl sealant pads into the holes that seals it up and are guarenteed to not leak.
Would it hurt to have a roofer on the job to install them? Probably not, but there are products out there that are proven that can be used. Of course all of this depends on your location and roofing type.
With that said, I do work with a roofer for all my penetrations. I do not like the idea of being responsible with the roof.

G
I am just speaking from my experience that solar collectors are usually found the cheapest after a roof leak. wink

Greg Fretwell
L
leland Offline OP
Thanx guys!
Mr.Smith127: Danvers...Thats where I was born!!! (Durkee crcl)
5 yrs later Ipswich.

I did not realize the collector issue. But think it is a good direction, That I may try to follow.

Link Copied to Clipboard