ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Maybe the world has changed but when I learned this stuff in the 90s, you didn't plug the head end in until you had a terminal on the other end with UTP.
That was why IBM sold an STP solution.
They don't sell much of it these days so maybe it was BS wink

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
Sounds like BS to me, or it could have only been applicable to Token-Ring (which practically nobody uses anymore). I have never used or worked with Token-Ring so I can't say for sure.

G
Token ring, at least in the IBM implementation, used a shorting type plug and receptacle that closed the ring when it was unplugged.
I tend to agree a UTP in a punched down keystone is safe but just having the bare wires swinging in the air still sounds like it is open to causing problems.

Greg Fretwell
B
There was a way to run Token Ring over UTP, I believe you used adapters called media filters to do it.

Bare wires swinging in the air could be a problem..why I suggested taping them off.

Not sure about sending Token Ring over UTP, but we did the opposite in the old building (temp solution before it was torn down and rebuilt), using the old Token Ring wiring and a homemade adapter to connect computers to an Ethernet network.

G
State Farm ran T/R on Cat5. Yes they do call that balun a media filter.

Greg Fretwell
RH1 Offline
It might be useful to check and see if they run Power Over Ethernet.

RH1 #188583 08/19/09 06:44 AM
Just make sure you CYA, because some of the switches in the server room could be upwards of $40k to $60k And like others have said, watch out for PoE

~Matt

I would rather beg for forgiveness then beg for permission.
W
Most switches will isolate any shorted or open lines, even PoE switches a current limited and will isolate a shorted line. Some of the older Hubs did not like shorts and would slow down the other ports. I always contact IT before doing anything with their stuff. Although I have IT certification, most IT guys are real protective of there territory and will blame any one else on any failures their system has. Robert

Since I'm one of those 'geeks' (actually a network analyst in a large health authority) and there doesn't seem to be a great respect for my type here, I'll keep this short.

If you absolutely KNOW it's a (non-powered) hub and you know the difference, you're probably just fine. However, if any of those wires is connected to a switch or router, especially one that provides PoE (power over ethernet), you could cause all kinds of trouble. We get automated alerts every time someone does something that "shouldn't be a problem" with our network.... frown

BTW, check out the replacement prices for a new Cisco PoE switch sometime. If that doesn't make you careful, nothing will!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard