ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Here is a question. How close can a receptacle get to the shower/tub area before it is a violation? A foot? 3 feet? 18" Any thoughts? You know that I am going somewhere with this question. I would like to hear some answers first before I bring out the problem I am hearing. Thanks for any answer.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
A strict reading of the code says it can't be in "tub space". As long as it is outside the shower curtain it is "hold your nose" legal. Good design would put it where water is unlikely to splash on it. These days a nuisance trip of the GFCI is the most likely problem.

Greg Fretwell
Y
Try 406.8(C)2005 N.E.C.

H
Greg,

As usual you are on target with what I am thinking. I will give it another day or two before I say what is on my mind.

J
As long as it is outside the footprint you are OK code-wise.

Doesn't do much to stop you from plugging in the TV and setting it on the tub ledge tho. I know that hard and fast distances might be hard to achieve in a small bath but there should be a better way.

G
We put GFCIs in places like this and just hope they do the job when people are stupid.

Greg Fretwell
Outside of the tub 'footprint' is all I can enforce.

Harold...are you aiming for the flat screen TV issue??

John
F
As far for tub footprint anything outside of the " boundary line " is fine but if someone really serious about putting a flat tv in the bathtub area one way you can make is safe is breech a opening behind the wall and put in marine grade plexglass and install the flat tv behind I know someone did that allready.

Myself I did not see that setup so hard to say if that did pass with flying colours or Drapeau rouge {red flag} show up.

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

G
re plexiglass
France may have some great water, after all you invented bottling it but in most places I would use tempered glass so you could keep it clean.

Greg Fretwell
H
I am going where Greg is talking about. What is the tub space? What does 406.8(C) really say? "Receptacles shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower area." Does sec. 410.4 (which defines a shower area) refer to the shower area? Does it mean a receptacle can't be within 3' of the tub/shower edge?

I have seen many times where someone puts a TV in the bathroom but forgets to make the receptacle a GFI protected one. So they fail that job, but can you fail someone for having a receptacle within 3' of the tub? What is the code section?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard