ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 251 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#186131 04/20/09 05:03 PM
U
Hi everyone!
been MIA for a few yrs; will catch up slowly!
Nice setup see same old names as soon as I logged on!

Q - eldest son now in Uni studying Audi Tech. If he struggles with any of the Audio-electronic side of things would I be able to get help hear. It will only be basic circuitry as they've only just started the electronics side of things?
This is just a precautionary request as I expect him to come bouncing in shortly with a pile of ...."Dad how do you do this & that" etc.

Good to be back! wink

All I Wanted Was A Cup Of Tea!!
U/dog,
Welcome back, man! thumbs

I really can't see any problems with that in itself, however, don't get yourself in the position of doing the boy's "homework" for him.

No biggie, really.

Audio electronics, is certainly a lot more complex these days, from what it used to be, with things like digital audio and the like.

Once again, welcome back.

U
Cheers Trumpy!

I don't think I'll be doing homework for him...to complex for me! as long as I know I've got back up when he's stuck!! the hardest thing for me is David actually telling me when he's stuck.

First time I've caught up with him last night in Glasgow at 'The Flying Duck' playing with his band 'Landon.' I'll see him later on & pop the question!
Cheers again!

smile

Broom Pusher and
Uppeydog

Feel free to fire away with questions regarding Audio Systems.

You might want to "Cross-Post" the questions in two other Areas, in order to get the most "advertisement" available.
These Areas are:

1: "Electrical Theory and Applications" Area

and

2: "Voice-Data-Video Discussions" Area

"Cross-Posting" would involve making Posts of the same topic (name and content), in more than one "Area".
In this case, the "Cross-Posts" would be made in this Area (Non-US Electrical Systems and Trades), along with the Two other Areas listed above.

As to the context of Audio Electronics, you will definitely be interested in the Technical aspects involved.

The theories involved cover:

* Psychoacoustics (sp???),

* Waves (both Electromagnetic and "Air"),

* Amplification Devices (Pre Amps, Power Amps),

* Filters (Passive Filters for Speaker-Level Crossovers, etc.; and Active Filters for Line-Level Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.),

* Integrated Circuitry,

* Loudspeaker Design Characteristics,

* Enclosure Design Characteristics.

Along with becoming more involved in these areas, a major reluctance to accept the "Pseudo Science" revolving the Audio realm will become second-nature!
Bandini Technology, such as the infamous $130.00 "Audio Grade" Receptacle, and "Must have $500.00 Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Cables", will become an irritant.
(Read: be ready to rant endlessly!!!).

Good luck with everything.

Looking forward to your postings!

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
T
You forgot the gold plated fuse holders to replace your breakers (the inductive resistance of the coils inside the breakers ir REALLY messing up your sound!) laugh laugh laugh
Oh yes, and the gold wire PoCo transformer laugh

Not to mention things as the "audio grade paint" for speakers and shelves, the $85 audio grade IEC power leads, special rocks to put in the corners of your rooms... did I forget anything? wink

Broom Pusher and
Ranger,

I know there are more "Snake Oil" Audio Pseudo-Science things to list. Just can not recall them right now.

smile smirk bash

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
T
Don't forget the $499 Denon digital interconnect cable..
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3429.asp

J
http://rane.com/pi14.html
Tongue in cheek but still my fav.
Joe

T
Originally Posted by JoeTestingEngr
http://rane.com/pi14.html
Tongue in cheek but still my fav.
Joe

Wow, thanks for sharing this gem! laugh

U
Thanks for those replies..good laugh!
Cheers Scot & Trumpy, going to try & 'coax' David to have a look at your replies. I think he waiting on results now, fingers crossed. If all goes wrong he recons his band 'Landon!' are going to make it. Pop punky type of music, they are good live ...very "bouncy" & 'happy go lucky' type of guys.
See what you reckon (Paul completly different to when you first had a listen a couple of years ago!!)
landon the band at myspace
I've got to get back to fitting my bathroom suite now before the missus gets in....got a good one to tell you blokes about my shower, (non electrical...but I'm sure you would love to hear the reply I got off the Technical Support Manager when I had a slight problem!)
Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard