ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
It sounds like somewhere in this whole lashup you'd be connecting the neutrals for the 2 motors' separate circuits. This would not be a good idea if they are on the same phase, and probably not even if they are on different phases.

I'd just tie an auxiliary contact for each starter into the control circuit on the other one, so if either motor shuts down its partner would shut down as well. Wouldn't that work for your installation?

Ghost307
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I've never liked the fact that the factory wiring on motor starters breaks the other (grounded neutral in this case) side of the control circuit.

A ground fault in the wiring between the o/l contacts to the coils could render the Overloads inoperative in this case.

A very simple fix would be to place the o/l contacts on the line side of the control circuits via the jumpers, and run the neutral straight to the coils.

Cat Servant
Helectric ... remember what I said about loads? The coils are loads. For a pair of (for example) 120v coils to operate properly in series, you would need to supply the circuit with 240v.

You avoid this by running the feed to the coils through an auxilliary contact on each of the starters. You can usually mount another contact next to the N.O. that comes with the starter. Contacts are, of course, switches - so there's no problem placing them in series. Contacts in series, coils in parallel.

Y
If you change the coil thru ungrounded conductor you"d void the listing & labeling of the starter, BUT this has been discussed for years. You Can easily program the PLC that when mtr drops out on overload other one does same.

L
You Can easily program the PLC that when mtr drops out on overload other one does same.

How will the PLC know that the motor drops out on overload?

Larry C

Y
2005 N.E.C. 430.73
Where one side of the motor control circuit is grounded, the
motor control circuit SHALL be arrainged so that a Accidental ground in the control circuit remote from the motor controller will
(1) not start the motor and ,
(2) Not bypass manually operated shutdown device or automatic safety shutdown devices.

If you use the neutral on a control circuit an unintentional grounding can start the equipment.

Neutral CANNOT be used for control circuits.

430.31 (Specifies intended uses of Overload devices.)

Last edited by Yoopersup; 04/13/09 04:31 PM.
G
Good code references Ernie, I think we are back to some form of interlocks with pneumatic timers that will allow a person to start a single motor and keep it running until the timer runs out or until the second motor is running. As it is described, if both motors are off, and they are on separate starting circuits, you would not be able to start either one because the alternate motor interlock would not allow it to start. Yep, pneumatic timers would work. The PLC thing would/could work but I know they want to break the neutral improperly.

George Little

Thanks for the Code reference, Yoopersup.

I would never have found it!

B
Originally Posted by LarryC
You Can easily program the PLC that when mtr drops out on overload other one does same.

How will the PLC know that the motor drops out on overload?

Larry C

Most IEC-style motor starters have a built OL contact to use as feedback for alarms or to a PLC. Most NEMA-style starters can have one added for the same purpose. NOTE: I am NOT referring to the NC OL contacts usually factory wired in series with the coil.

Wire the OL contact from each starter as PLC inputs and change the program to drop out the coils.

J
You can wire both OLR's in series if you want. Neutral or hot. The overload contacts (switches) are not loads and will not effect voltage by any means. It is common everyday procedure for your application. One motor trips, it kills the other motor. (both contactor coils drop out).

Since you have a PLC, I would write this into the logic too. This is called a fail safe. Should either device fail to stop both motors you are backed up with the hard wiring and the PLC logic. Most OLR's have more than one set of contacts. If not, you can get contacts for them. Use the NO or NC contact on the overload as a PLC input. Should the OLR trip, the input will turn on and kill both motors. You can use both of these methods or use either or.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard