ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 284 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Y
When doing say Football Field lighting, Street lighting , Ect where Voltage drop Plays a big part you might have 1/0 or so going to a 20 or 40 amp breaker. Curious how others deal with the transion at the panel to terminate on the breaker??? I usually put a J box below & reduce the wire size to as Large as the breaker terminals well Per listing take(its usually a 24 to 36 inch run). How do others deal with this???
Yoopersup

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Same as you describe above.

John
G
Ernie- What you do is cut off several strands so the wire will fit in the breaker, but do it on the back side so the inspector don't see it. ha ha ha

George Little
E
What a great question. We used the screw-terminal butt splices made by Ilsco back when I worked on those kinds of projects. We still had to use a trough on larger projects, but we got away with using these in small quantities in panels that were for field lighting only. We would reduce 1/0 down to #8 with these splices and then apply heat shrink tubing to them. There was no gutter space wasted at all.

We had to start using the butt splices that are pre-insulated from the factory later on because the heat shrink we were using wasn't rated for use within equipment or indoors.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Cat Servant
Please note that Ilsco still makes crimp fittings specifically designed to let you connect an oversized wire to a smaller lug.

S
Forget that stuff, use superconducting wire. #24 or #22 should be plenety.

Originally Posted by George Little
Ernie- What you do is cut off several strands so the wire will fit in the breaker, but do it on the back side so the inspector don't see it. ha ha ha
Hahahaha, you know what? I actually LIKE this solution! Simple, elegant, and eliminates points of failure.

L
Originally Posted by George Little

We call that a 'haircut'.

I have done it several ways,I personally like a good mechanical connection.

Depending on the conductor size I try to use the crimps Reno addressed.
My supplier loans out the crimp tools for no charge,As well as leaving stock behind the shrubs Saturday afternoons!
Thats why I use them!

Le:
Try that service at the big boxes?? LOL

John

Link Copied to Clipboard