ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#185659 03/23/09 04:11 PM
J
JValdes Offline OP
I bought a Samsung VCR/DVD recorder right before Blue Tooth won the battle. It has an HDMI output.
I just bought a Sony Bravia with 4 HDMI inputs. Heres the problem.

The satelite box has one HDMI output. I ran this directly to the TV. I ran another HDMI cable from the VCR/DVD player to the TV. It would not control/work the VCR/DVD. I had to use video cables from the satellite box to the VCR/DVD. The picture when using the VCR/DVD is not as good as the direct hook up from the satellite box to the TV.
Also, by having to switch between inputs, sometimes I get a "no signal" when using the VCR/DVD recorder. Now I have to leave the input set for the recorder and watch the less preferable picture. Do they make DVD players with HDMI input and output. This would eliminate the video cables and then I could switch between inputs without sacrificing picture quality. Thats what I am thinking?

Note: Sometimes if I switch outputs, the only way to get anything to work is to power down everything, then power back up. Pain in the ass. Any thoughts? I would hate to have to buy a new DVD/VCR recorder that supports Sony. Thanks John

JValdes #185689 03/24/09 04:05 PM
K
I noticed with my Samsung flat screen that they say to use HDMI /IN port #1 on the back of the TV to connect a DVD player. I don't know why it matters if it's port #1 /IN or #2 /IN, etc., but maybe if you haven't already, you could try swapping them around and see what happens.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the DVD player or cable isn't HDMI v1.3. I understand that with older versions of HDMI this can sometimes lead to problems with no picture or no sound.

I don't know what other connections you could try other than maybe DVI to HDMI, but since you're DVD is newer and has the HDMI port, it most likely doesn't even have this option. You'd need a separate audio cable for this setup anyway.

I don't really see how this could be any sort of setup/menu configuration issue, but maybe something to look into.

KJay #185721 03/25/09 03:24 PM
J
JValdes Offline OP
KJay, I also suspected the cable or input and switched them. Still the issue remains. I am going to call Samsung and Sony and see if they can shed some light. Wish me luck with them!
Thanks

JValdes #185744 03/26/09 12:14 AM
Well, here's your problem: S-O-N-Y

Sorry, couldn't resist. Not a fan.

noderaser #185771 03/26/09 03:52 PM
J
JValdes Offline OP
S-O-N-Y had the best picture. I'm no expert. I thought Sony was top of the line?

JValdes #185781 03/26/09 11:16 PM
They maintain that image, but in my experience their actual quality is pretty average--and overpriced for it.

Link Copied to Clipboard