ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#185680 03/24/09 12:30 PM
C
What's your opinion about a pantry falling into 240.24.
Cereal boxes and pasta wrappers might be considered "easily ignitable"?

What are your thoughts on having subs behind door swings, assuming proper working space with the door closed.

And finally, your thoughts on a sub in a pantry behind the door swing where no shelves are near it. Can't say about brooms and mops though.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
I do not see the code as restricting panel installations in these areas.

The 'easily ignitable' provision is, IMO, an attempt by the code panel to stress that they were discussing clothes closets, and specifically did NOT want the stricture expanded to include all closets.

Naturally, 'pantry' and 'closet' are somewhat subjective - as we've all seen panels placed inside cabinets (or cupboards). We have to rely upon working space rules to clarify things.

Under 'working space' rules, I find it hard to imagine a box of cereal, 30" away from the panel, even getting warm from panel operation.

"Working space" also applies to the storage of mops and brooms. At least, that's the ideal.

That's where we need a reality check. As much as we would like a panel to be the centerpiece of the living room, that is never going to happen. Folks are going to continue to hide those ugly panels - and there's not a thing we can do. Here are a few "war stories:"

- One restaraunt here has applied a mural on the panel covers. While in plain sight, in the dining room, you have trouble finding them even when you know where they are;

- A business called to repair some lights. The problem traced to a tripped breaker; the panel was hidden directly behind the managers' desk, carefully covered by aframed picture;

- A local nursing home was, for over a decade, unable to locate the source ofpower to some circuits. The panel was in the main hallway, concealed by an open door.

G
Personally I'd vote in a heartbeat to prohibit panels behind door swings.
I've never liked closing the door in an electrical room knowing that someone coming in to 'help me work' (or pester me to work faster) would whack me into the panel that I was working on.
I've used the 'panic hardware' requirement for main electrical rooms quite a few times to get a safe working environment, but it's still a fight every time.
Without a Code item to hang our hats on the Architects will continue to make the doors to virtually all of our workspaces swing into the room, then whine that we should be able to use every square inch of space so that they don't have to make the CEO's office 6" smaller when they enlarge our room.

Ghost307

Link Copied to Clipboard