ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 366 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
3/0 Rw90 or T90 and #3 white or bare for Natural and 2" pvc

E
Originally Posted by mr_electrician
Originally Posted by Sandro
If you wish for this installation to pass code. You cannot enter directly into the back of the panel when through the basement foundation wall.

Yes you are correct. I seen that in section 6 after I posted the question. ....

Would u pls tell me the details of this rules cause I searched the code by the keyword of "foundation wall" and got no rule between the service box and the foundation wall.

And I found a pic in the book "Electrical Code Simplified - Ontario Book 1 - Based on the 23rd Edition". The only diffrence in the pic is the wall behind the panel is not a foundation wall.

[img] http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...v1sRgCPX-m_itnqb-kQE&feat=directlink [/img]

So now I'm realy confused.

Thanks advance.

S
I believe this code was brought out in a ESA bulletin and will be showing up in the 2009 code book which takes effect on May 1, 2009

edit : Er, I see you are from Quebec. We are talking ONTARIO electrical code, which we are governed by, not CANADIAN electrical code.

Last edited by Sandro; 03/21/09 10:33 PM.
M
I believe Ontario Code 6-300(3)(b) covers some of it.

Last edited by MikeS; 03/22/09 03:19 PM.
E
Originally Posted by Sandro
I believe this code was brought out in a ESA bulletin and will be showing up in the 2009 code book which takes effect on May 1, 2009

edit : Er, I see you are from Quebec. We are talking ONTARIO electrical code, which we are governed by, not CANADIAN electrical code.

Originally Posted by MikeS
I believe Ontario Code 6-300(3)(b) covers some of it.

I don't have Ontario Code. I'm just curious if there is any difference between it and Quebec's as follow:

"6-300 Underground Consumer’s Services
(3) Raceways entering a building and forming part of an underground service shall be sealed and shall:
(a) Enter the building above ground where practicable; or
(b) Be suitably drained; or
(c) Be installed in such a way that moisture and gas will not enter the building.
..."

M
It is the same rule word for word, the Ontario Code book is just the Canadian Electrical Code with some changes,additions and deletions, you should talk to your Inspector to find out what his/her requirements are. I know in this area they prefer that you come up out of the ground and enter the house above grade with an LB. Go here and try 6-300 in the search area, be aware these are Ontario rules. http://www.esasafe.com/faqs.htm

J
It says "where practicable". That means it could be allowed to enter below grade in certain conditions.

M
obviously the intent is to prevent the raceway from becoming a source of water and corrosion in the panel. By not allowing the raceway from entering the panel directly from underground it adds a fitting to permit draining any condensate away from the panel. In BC we encourage contractors to mount meters outside the wall so the underground raceway enters outside the wall. this does a lot to prevent water from entering panels as any water would drain from the meter base outside the wall. Cables like teck or AC90 should be more immune from transporting water from outside to inside but I have seen water go down a cable too. In terms of what is required to avoid water entry where a raceway goes through a wall underground. Each site has it's own solution and if you have a challenge a discussion with your inspector might save time and money.

Last edited by mikesh; 03/25/09 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard