ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Hello, I am going to build a new house soon and I have a question for everyone. The way my house is situated and where the meter is going to be I am wanting to run from the meter base to the panel which means going through the foundation 2 times. 1st time to get under the garage pad and 2nd time to get into the mechanical room where my panel will be. Is there a risk of ground water seeping into the house. I was planing to go through the foundation right into the back of the panel.

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
G
Use a link-seal around the conduit penetration if you're concerned.
Those things work great...and you can repair/replace them in the future if they ever fail.

Ghost307
S
If you wish for this installation to pass code. You cannot enter directly into the back of the panel when through the basement foundation wall.

M
Originally Posted by Sandro
If you wish for this installation to pass code. You cannot enter directly into the back of the panel when through the basement foundation wall.

Yes you are correct. I seen that in section 6 after I posted the question. I think I should pop up through the garage floor then LB into the mechanical room through the foundation. I haven't done alot of services....in fact mabey 3 in my career. Should I ground the neutral in the meter base or at the panel? Am I required to pull a bond wire between the meter base and panel?

Ask me an industrial installation question or programming question and I'm ggod to go. Residential services....I need brushing up on!

S
Originally Posted by mr_electrician

Yes you are correct. I seen that in section 6 after I posted the question. I think I should pop up through the garage floor then LB into the mechanical room through the foundation. I haven't done alot of services....in fact mabey 3 in my career. Should I ground the neutral in the meter base or at the panel? Am I required to pull a bond wire between the meter base and panel?

Ask me an industrial installation question or programming question and I'm ggod to go. Residential services....I need brushing up on!

Ground the neutral at the panel. As far as I know, only Brantford requires a bond between mb and panel. Check with your local ESA.

Popping up through the garage floor is not a good idea.

The preferred way is to run your pipe in the garage floor through the wall as you originally intended. Then where the pipe enters the basement, put an LB sideways and put your panel to the left or right of the LB, not directly below!! Be sure to drill two small weeper holes and seal the LB with duct seal.

The purpose of the LB is to catch/stop any water from entering the panel.

L
A meter is not a disconnect,unless a MB type. Then the house panel is a sub.

M

Ground the neutral at the panel. As far as I know, only Brantford requires a bond between mb and panel. Check with your local ESA.

The preferred way is to run your pipe in the garage floor through the wall as you originally intended. Then where the pipe enters the basement, put an LB sideways and put your panel to the left or right of the LB, not directly below!! Be sure to drill two small weeper holes and seal the LB with duct seal.

Thats what I would like to do. I am just worried about water seeping in between my 2" PVC and foundation. Then again the soil under the garage SHOULD be dry all the time. Has anyone had a seepage of water from this method of installation? Also, what is the common wire used now for services on a 200Amp underground? 250MCM TWU75 Alluminum? Am I allowed to have my ground plate buried under the garage pad?

Last edited by mr_electrician; 03/18/09 01:03 PM.

M
[quote=Sandro]If you wish for this installation to pass code. You cannot enter directly into the back of the panel when through the basement foundation wall.

4 ot AL is all you need. You won't get any leaks from garage. If you are really worried, just below where the pipe enters the foundation, put some stones/screening on top of the dirt to drain water away. And tar the hole.

Last edited by mr_electrician; 03/19/09 09:43 AM.

M
4/0 Al for a 200 amp service? Can you give me a code reference for this one. I know of the 5% rule but 4/O doesn't fall within 5%. I am sure your correct as you have probably done 10 times more residential services than I. I just want to know how we are allowed to use 4/O on a 200 amp service.
I guess this is what happens after 6 years when you leave construction and go work in the plants. You forget things! It is all coming back to me though!

S
4/0 Al for a 200 amp service? Can you give me a code reference for this one. I know of the 5% rule but 4/O doesn't fall within 5%. I am sure your correct as you have probably done 10 times more residential services than I. I just want to know how we are allowed to use 4/O on a 200 amp service.
I guess this is what happens after 6 years when you leave construction and go work in the plants. You forget things! It is all coming back to me though!

Table 4 of your code book. See the double star ** beside the 185? See the footnote. You can also use 2 ot copper!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard