ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
nichols Offline OP
Ok, i'm not an electrian as of yet, but i hold alot of respect for you guys.. You can do things that most of us low voltage techs would have walked away from.. I've been doing low voltage for 12yrs now, and for the first time i'm having to go residential. I'm needing some input/advice on how to do a multi-level pull without having to damage too much of the existing drywall.. I have seen those long drill bits, but not really sure the best way to use them etc..
Thanks in advance...

S
nichols,
assess how 'tight' the residence is.
usually the older homes have more common paths than newer homes.
get into the basements and attics and check for boon barn construction, look at the main plumbing runs, look for whatever else has been fished previously ......lastly, look for common closets ( first & second floors over ea. other..)

N
nichols Offline OP
Cool, i'll try that.. I'm alittle mad the client wont let me come out for a walk through, he wants to only pay for one visit out there. So all i have is his photos to go on. This is a newer house .. been built in the last 5 yrs .. Theres a basement, 1st floor and 2nd floor.. I will check for what you listed..

E
In most homes with a furnace in the attic, there is a chase going form the attic to the basement with freon and possibly gas lines. This can usually be fished. My preferred method is to tape together "glow rods" and drop them in the chase, a fish tape will work but gets twisted too much. Be patient!

E
Won't let me come to see the job, I won't be coming to do the job. Thanks anyway!

E
Fishing cable in an existing building is a skill that can't be learned on an internet forum.
I think for the first one you would be ahead of the game to enlist the help of someone that has done it before.

Ed

I've found that a short length of "Jack Chain" on a bright neon-colored ball of string makes it easy to drop down from the attic through a chase or alongside a pipe. (and easy to spot)

Bill

Bill
N
nichols Offline OP
I know its a skill that cant be learned in a forum.. I'm more looking for guidance, like I stated previously i've done it in commerical settings, but residental is a whole other ball game [Linked Image].. I'm in no way going to come back here and go "You told me to do this and this happened..".. Its my game, i'm just looking for some insite from the pros.. [Linked Image] Whenever I can afford it or can find someone in my area, i want to do a ride along with an contractor to see how its done [Linked Image]

R
Try to get a T&M agreement, and be prepared do patch some holes.
I use ball chain as opposed to jack chain.
If you are going to be doing this type of work, "Majic Sticks" (long connectable fiberglass rods) are essential.
I have a long flexi-bit and it comes in handy. It is worth the expense.

H
This doesn't necesarily help you but when we wire a house - on the rough we - install a 1.5" piece of pvc that goes from the attic to the basement...does anyone else do this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard