ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#185298 03/09/09 12:32 AM
S
A friend is putting in a 3 phase submersible pump. His well is 720ft deep with the pump at about 700 ft. They are concerned about the torque of a large single phase pump twisting the pipe too much. It is only about a 70 foot run to the power source. He only has single phase power, so I assume there is a converter box somewhere. Is it at the well head or at the breaker. He is getting his pump this week so I should know more then, but I am just trying to get ahead and get a little info about previous experience.

Cat Servant
Such pumps are usually integral parts of the well casing (pipe). A million mad horses couldn't shake them loose.

Otherwise, get a three-phase pump and feed it through a frequency drive. This will provide a 'soft start' feature.

F
Most well I useally run into most will have a " toqure arrester " and with 3Ø pump you can invest a soft start or VFD so you can able ramp up without putting in the stress on the pipes.

How big the pump it is ?

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

L
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican
Most well I useally run into most will have a " toqure arrester " and with 3Ø pump you can invest a soft start or VFD so you can able ramp up without putting in the stress on the pipes.

How big the pump it is ?

Merci,Marc

I'll 2nd the question. how big a pump? and what is it for?

J
Just to clarify, the starting torque of an AC motor is generally the same regardless of being 3 phase or single phase. The only thing that would make a difference in using 3 phase is if you use a VFD as a phase converter. But 700 feet is a long distance for a VFD run, so make sure your motor and VFD will not have issues with that. You may need what is called a Long Line Filter or at the very least, a reactor on the output.

JRaef
jraef #185306 03/09/09 09:27 AM
S
It's going to be a 3hp pump. It will be his primary water supply for his house and his livestock. The county is actually helping with the cost so that he can get his animals out of and fence off the creek.

Cat Servant
If it's a three phase pump with a single phase supply, you're pretty much required to use a VFD ... problem solved.

G
Why is he using a 3p pump? How much water can a cow drink?

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Greg, 700 ft. is a pretty good amount of head. I suspect a single phase motor is both a lot more expensive, as well as considerably larger in size.

Incidentally ... wells are the one place I find the corner-grounded delta service.

L
How do you deal with the excellent ground rod you just installed, with respect to lightning strikes? When you bond the power system to the well casing, you just made the rest of your electrical system very attractive to lightning.

Larry C

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard