ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#184794 02/21/09 10:55 PM
E
Ek64911 Offline OP
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone here does voltage leakage testing. I have a customer that has asked my company to perform these tasks. I know little on this topic and I was wondering if someone could tell me what tools are required and where I could take training?

Thanks,

Craig

CT El.Unlimited Contractor
MA Master Electrician
RI El.Contractor
Z
Do you mean voltage drop or current leak? A combination of the two would then be power loss, which is what I imagine they are attempting to find due to suspicion that they are paying for more power than they are actually using.

I'm sure there are some testing devices for more specific, but using an ammeter and a voltage meter you can probably narrow down a potential problem.

Current:

- With an active device, such as a motor/fridge/etc., you could take a an ammeter reading near the device and then back at the panel to see if there is a noteworthy difference, indicating a "leak", or draw, somewhere on the circuit.

- You could take an ammeter reading with the device on the circuit inactive to see if there is a current draw when there shouldn't be (again, take readings near the device and then back at the panel).

- You could simply shut off the main disco and see if the meter is still spinning

Voltage:

- Test voltage on a particular circuit at the panel and then at the end of the circuit run to find a difference

- You again try this with the circuit load activated to see if the voltage comes down under load.

Remember your Ohms law - voltage drop increases wattage at a particular amperage. A voltage drop can increase power consumption.

Good Luck!

Link Copied to Clipboard