ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Mike,
This is not some half-baked backyard effort.
We're talking about a trailer that gets pulled by a Kenworth truck, and it has its own rego, COF etc. 3 axles at each end with dual wheels at each end of each axle. The existing plank decking is to be replaced, and some additional load-bearing beams are being added to increase the weight-carrying capacity.
It is a requirement for a COF that the structural welding is done by a certified welder. My friend does have that qualification, as does the helper that he will be employing to assist with the refit. I understand that drawings of what is going to be done have been prepared and run past a transport engineer so he can be certain that what he is proposing will pass certification. The finished trailer will be put through the proper testing so it can be legally used on the road, it would be a bit pointless to do a project like this and not make it road-legal!
Later,
Mark

Mark aka Paulus
Mark,
What an interesting thing you've dug up.
I fix welders at work and when you consider that MIG welders are pretty easy on the supply, when used with an Argo-shield gas and non-fluxed wire, they don't tend to upset the supply all that much.

However, when you start using a MIG with flux-cored wire (as in no shielding gas) the welder has to work that much harder, as the welder has no gas to cool the liner towards the torch, this causes friction.
Your current will increase, accordingly.

Liner failures are common with gas-less MIG welding.

And that is only with steel, other metals like stainless or aluminium are an acquired taste.

But then again, if you can TIG weld aluminium is easy to weld.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard