ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#184018 01/30/09 03:30 PM
Cat Servant
While not as neat as some tilework we've seen at ECN, I thought the notch cut in this panel cover was particularly neat:

[Linked Image from i143.photobucket.com]

A
In this case it looks like it's the "EC" at fault as it appears the pipe was there first (yellow NM, shiny strain relief & dusty pipe).

G
Here's what I see happening.

A tub gets installed...using a convenient pipe to hold it up during installation.
The work is finished and it's time to put the cover on the tub.
Oops; the cover is bigger than the box.
Obscene words are muttered while the cover is revised to fit around the pipe.

I guess we should be glad that the cover got notched instead of someone just cutting a slit in the top of the pipe.
smile

Ghost307
F
Quoi concerne la corde verte qui n'est pas une installation permanente aussi je ne suis pas trop fou pour mettre la boîte d'interrupteur sur l'escalier du tout

{ Engish verison }

What about the green cord that is not a permanent setup also I am not too crazy to put the breaker box on the stairway at all

Merci,Marc

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 01/30/09 06:41 PM. Reason: Fixez le grammer

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

N
The green cord looks like it might be the cord to a piece of heat-trace tape on that pipe?

F
Originally Posted by NJwirenut
The green cord looks like it might be the cord to a piece of heat-trace tape on that pipe?

Peut-être ainsi si c'est le fait dû la pipe d'eau a la bonne chance il peut gelé

(maybe so if that is the fact due the water pipe have good chance it can frozen up )

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

L
Originally Posted by Ann Brush
In this case it looks like it's the "EC" at fault as it appears the pipe was there first (yellow NM, shiny strain relief & dusty pipe).

I'm with you Ann.
I would have cut the entire cover square....If I were to do such a thing which of course I wouldn't. smile
..And why that 'KO'?.. Probably plenty of others on top. No staple?

RENO: That's a horrible cut! No matter what you have planned that Evening!

Last edited by leland; 01/30/09 07:33 PM. Reason: KO..Staple.
Cat Servant
OK, OK ... let's get a few things straight ....

First ... this is NOT my work. Or, at least, 99% not my work!

I apologize for the pic ... there was not room in front of the panel for me (due to pipes) .... I took the pic by holding my arm out, pushing the button, and hoping. This was in a basement, lighting was poor .... and, frankly, I had not noticed that green hose / wire / cable / whatever it is.

Looking at the original, unedited picture, it appears that green thing enters a 4" pipe in the foundation. Everything at that point is well below the frost line, so I can't imagine what it may be - or even say that it enters the panel.

Someone else mounted this (sub) panel in this 1920's house. I was called because the oil furnace - located behind me as I took the pic) wasn't working. In order to fix that problem, one thing I did was install that Romex you see - the connector looks new, because it is! The cable is anchored out of view.

KO's on the top were either taken, or obstructed. I used the one you see ( and not one higher up) because it had no wires, etc., behind it inside the box. And, as you might guess, I had to contort myself somewhat to even do that.

(1920 house, sundry handyman work, heat out and it's 7F in this rental property .... this is no time to try to fix everything that might be wrong .... just enough to try to make YOUR part OK).

Lighting was poor; until I edited this pic, I did not realize that the cover was also notched a bit too much, and that there actually is an opening into the bottom of the panel.

I'll have another thread - soon - about this job. Maybe two! For this thread, though, .... well, that pic can really challenge our understanding of 'neat' and 'workmanlike!'

L
NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM was this work ever even considered to be yours.

Some things 'you' just see and must 'shoot'. Without all the details. I have many!
Thanks for sharing!
(But under ECN rules, You May NOT divulge the perp.under any circumstance!) smile

Last edited by leland; 01/30/09 11:30 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard