ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#183727 01/20/09 10:48 PM
L
leland Offline OP
If I install a receptacle in a car wash bay, or A medical research lab area (with water around Wet location).

Do I need one?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
Yes. The 'industrial' exception has been tightened up considerably. That's the code.

Realistically though .... the one in the car wash is going to be busted off within minutes of your leaving. I'd rather see an intact weather cover, than a broken bubble cover.

As for the research lab ... I'd go the extra mile, gat a metal one, and use tamper-resistant screws. Those dweebs love to play around.

L
leland Offline OP
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Yes. The 'industrial' exception has been tightened up considerably. That's the code.

406.8(B)(1) Exception: Has changed?

406.8(B)(2)(b). could I not say that an outside rec on a dwelling is for a weed whacker? therefor not needing a 'bubble' cover?

406.8(A)- covered porch no 'bubble' required? Inspectors demand it (am I wrong?).

Tom Offline
Leland,

406.8(B)(1) exception is new and IMO allows you to get away from the bubble cover in a car wash even though you are not high pressure washing the wall or receptacle cover. I could be all wet in my understanding of this. Also, there are metal bubble covers on the market.

406.8(B)(2) applies to receptacles other than the ones in (B)(1) such as a 30 amp or larger receptacle.

Lastly, I've always had problems with damp locations. I've never seen a really good definition of a damp location. How far back under the porch roof is the receptacle? If the AHJ feels that the wind could blow rain back that far, then it is a wet location. I've always stuck to the 45 degree installation. If you draw a line extending back from the edge of the roof 45 degrees and the outlet or other equipment is above the line, it is a damp location, below the line a wet location. If the wind is strong enough to blow the rain at a greater angle, a bubble cover is the least of your worries.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
S
But where do you plug in your pressure washer??

Assume for a moment you want to "exceed" the code and put in a bubble. A standard bubble wouldn't work here, and would just create false confidence. It would have to be a NEMA-4X bubble; do they even exist?

Tom Offline
The OP didn't state if the car wash bay was a typical coin operated installation. If it is coin operated, the pressure pump is usually hard wired and located in a dry location.

If you're plugging in a pressure washer & are concerned about the receptacle getting soaked, install a pendant receptacle that has rubber boots that seal the connectors when you're plugged in.

Regardless of what you do, sooner or later some bonehead is going to see if that wet location connection can withstand the 3500 + psi that these things can put out.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
L
leland Offline OP
Re-Read- 406.8(B)- Bubble is required.
The Exception is not needed.
Heck, If your plugged in you need a WP cover,If not, WP cover still needed. ...??...

G
Pressure washer plugs usually have built in GFCIs. I have never seen a bubble that would hold one and still close.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
With due respect, my pressure washer has a GFI in the cord, approx. 18" from the male cap.

John
G
My 5 HP washer (30a 240v) has that in the cord but the 120v baby pressure washer has it in the plug.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard