ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18229 12/07/02 08:00 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Saw on our news last night that the eastern side of the U.S. has been hit with its first big snow of the winter, right down as far south as NC.

I hope you all don't have too much trouble going about your work for the next couple of weeks, and maybe you can look forward to a white Christmas. [Linked Image]

#18230 12/07/02 09:42 AM
W
I was in the middle of meeting up with a transporter to take my Celeca to Fl. from here in Mass. to give to my kids. Been waiting for a couple of weeks to when we would meet. I took the snow tires off put on regular tires for Fl driving. Dispatcher called during rush hour in the middle of a snow storm. I had my father follow me there, lost him on the way. Car was sliding all over the place. Finally we both met up there and car is on it's way. Dispatcher was in N.C. and couldn't work from her office due to heavy sleeting and power outages. Everything was done over cell phones with a lot of broken voices, what a head ache. Anyways, it's on it's way to FL. They should have it by mon.

#18231 12/07/02 10:38 AM
G
i bought a truckload of 3/4-1" rigid conduit in october, (got a truckload discount on it), stacked it outside, (no room in shop), have spent the last 2 days with a propane weed burner thawing it out so we can move it inside the shop, (still no room). [Linked Image]
as the temps dip lower and lower, more gc's are calling, wanting temp. power, (right now), trenches dug, (right now), services completed, (right now), or parking lot light poles set, (right now)... [Linked Image]
suppliers cant make deliveries because of road conditions. must be a "one-way" thing, because the roads are fine, as long as i do the picking up and delivering to the jobsite. oh, and everybody else needs their written estimates "right now", before the first of the year. [Linked Image]
i thought about trying to get some of my accounts receivable paid by asking for "payment in full" right now, but "right now" seems to work only one way..... [Linked Image]
oh well, spring is not too far off..... [Linked Image]

#18232 12/07/02 11:07 AM
C
Yup, plenty of it here in New England.

I grew up here but I still don't really enjoy winter that much.

San Diego beckons.......

Peter
#18233 12/07/02 12:58 PM
R
Hello Paul, NC got hammered pretty good. I made it about 35 miles (halfway) towards the office, and came upon a four wheel drive police vehicle in the gaurd rail, one mile further two more vehicles being towed out of the ditch. Decided to turn around, got turned around and just in front of me a brand new truck lost it and recieved some serious damage. I stopped and found the driver to be OK. Trooper on other side of road where other wrecks were being cleared headed this way.

The amazing thing is, other brain dead drivers seeing all this carnage in one area, never slow down. [Linked Image]

I guess it will have to be them before they learn.

With the exception of the damage, it's nice to fix a hearty warm dish, start a fire and watch it snow

Roger

#18234 12/07/02 05:27 PM
S
oh comon'..... gotta be some crusty New Englanders here working outside shouting 'bring it on'.
[Linked Image]

#18235 12/07/02 05:51 PM
C
Sorry Steve, not me.

I was born and raised here, but still not liking the snow. Yeah, it's pretty and all but the hassle it causes outweighs the good points (which are few.)

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 12-07-2002).]

Peter
#18236 12/07/02 06:26 PM
M
I'm a snowmobiler, if you don't like the snow, please send it to northern Minnesota. El Nino has caused lousy snow conditions here for the past several years. I bought a new sled in 1999, and its still like new with under 1200 miles on it. It looks like its going to be another repeat of last year, we have less than an inch on the ground so far.

#18237 12/07/02 09:28 PM
We got a good snowfall a few days ago, and hit record lows for the last 20 months! Last winter, the low at my house was 10.9ºF and last night was 9.7ºF (High for the summer was 89.4ºF). These are my actual recordings on cheap digital thermometers.

Last winter was hardly any snow at all, this winter may be a like I remember as a child.

Seemed to be plenty of snow when I was a kid!

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#18238 12/07/02 10:27 PM
J
Mama told me a story about when our family lived in Bluefield a few years before I was born and it being so cold that the fire froze. Dad said that there was some water in the line between the oil tank and the house that froze, but mama was from Greenville SC and fire didn't freeze down there.
Do they still give free lemonade in Bluefield if the temp gets over 90 F. Or is that too far south from yall.

Lighting the way
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard