ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cat Servant
I've been presented the oppurtunity to take over a job. That is, the customer is not happy with the current EC - I suspect he doesn't like the prices.

I'd like to hear your thoughts of the ethics of the issue.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
E
Not knowing the whole situation I'll just say I'd have no problem doing it.

T
twh Offline
Unless you check with the other contractor, you are only getting one side of the story. Sometimes it's the contractor who is refusing to return.

Also, when you take over the job, you also take responsibility for the other guy's work. For example, if his wires are too small, you have to replace them.

There are no ethical issues. Just make sure you get paid.

G

You didn't say what phase the job was in.
If there is a significant amount of uninspected work, I would call for a "partial" inspection on the work done before you put your name on the permit. The inspector may be able to shed some light on what is going on if there were problems.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Those are very good thoughts.

If nothing else, the city here seems to discourage this situation. First, their fee is nearly a grand to re-issue the permit.

Second, if the EC signed off on the electrical, I'd have to submit my own drawings for the permit.

G
Here in Lee County Fl they are pretty easy going about changing a sub on a permit. I think the fee is only $35 (maybe $50, they did just up some fees). You do not need to resubmit the plans.

Greg Fretwell
W
I would go the partial inspection route, and take lots of pictures to document what shape the job was in when you took over. As far as ethics, I do not see a problem, unless you are friends with the other EC. You are assuming responsibility for any work that is already covered up, if you know the other ECs work is good than you have no worries.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid

Link Copied to Clipboard