ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Erick Offline OP
I've been in the Heavy Industrial part of the electrical trade for 16 years. I want to change gears so I decided to go for my Masters. which "I have gotten permission from the state of Utah to take their test." It's been I think 13 years since I've tested, I'm kinda freaking out! I am wondering if you guy's and gals knew of any really good web sights so I could bone up on my code, I have ordered a bunch of calculation material VD ohms law stuff like that. any help would be very much appreciated. thank you for your time: Erick Tollen

Last edited by Erick; 10/28/08 11:23 PM.
welcome,
this is a great site. i have learned alot from experienced people that contribute here.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Cat Servant
Mike Holt's study guide is extremely comprehensive.

Administrator
Welcome Aboard Erick,

Bill

Originally Posted by Erick
I am wondering if you guy's and gals knew of any really good web sights so I could bone up on my code, I have ordered a bunch of calculation material VD ohms law stuff like that.

Now, how is that for swearing in Church? grin

Seriously, Erick, I was just kidding, there is a heap of worthy reading available down in the Technical Reference Area of this site.

Mr Scott35 has done a wonderful job of this area, I would put money on any electrician learning something from his posts there.
Instant Link

BTW, welcome aboard, mate, I hope your exam goes well.
Just remember this, people seem to "beat themselves up" when studying for an exam, thinking they aren't prepared or haven't done enough to sit the exam.

I have sat about 58 exams since I left school, believe me, what matters the most is YOUR frame of mind going into the exam room, you need to be relaxed.

I have set apprentices up for exams before, one thing you HAVE to do is READ the paper before you start, some people have failed by not taking on board simple instructions outside of the actual paper, but were written on the paper itself.

Like,"Do not do calculations on this exam paper, to do so will void your results, you have been provided with extra paper for this purpose"

Last edited by Trumpy; 10/29/08 04:47 AM. Reason: Typo
Welcome to ECN from one of the 'Jersey Guys'

As above, Mike' site and books are helpful, and YES there is a lot of good, useful info here at ECN; plus....you can get opinions, interpertations, and have a bit of fun here at the forums.

You may want to consider a evening course at a local Vo-Tech, or thru a private instructor also.

Take care, stay safe

John
E
Erick:

Also remember that the purpose of these exams is not to prove that you have memorized the code, but to show that you know how to use it as your reference tool. If you maintain that mindset, you'll focus on where to find answers rather than trying to remember them. That is the best advice that I can offer.

Welcome aboard. I've sure learned a lot here myself as well. It is interesting to keep up on codes/practices in other parts of the country or even the rest of the world for that matter. You will also find that things are very relaxed here, with no tension or bickering. I haven't been here very long, but I feel as if I know much more about the industry as a whole from my experience here.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
J
I vote for Tom Henry's method. If you do as he says you will pass on your first try.

My situation is just like yours. I started my career in construction, but ended up taking the masters after more than 15 years in industrial. I went to the local community college and spent 12 weeks on Tom Henry's program.
My last class was on a Wednesday and I tested the following Saturday. Passed.

Check out the video training.

T
when I took my masters test I bought a Stallcup's masters exam study guide and a electric pro calculator both came in very handy.The calculator was useful because you can do so much with it,like conduit fill,amp.of wires,ground sizes,... all buy a few quick button presses instead of long formulas and the such.On my test some of the questions came right out of the study guide.

G
I am surprised you could take a calculator like that. When I did my inspector exams (IAEI and SBCCI) they only let you have a basic math unit.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard