ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#181582 10/16/08 09:23 PM
Hi Guys, I need some help with calculating size of phase converter, Line, load overcurrent. The Ice cream maker I am working this up for is 208/240v 30a I don't have access to the motor. It would require dismantling the unit. Any help would be apprciated.

Ob(Phil)

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
J
Phil,
Are you trying to get 3 phase,or are you trying to change Hz?

JValdes #181597 10/17/08 10:25 PM
Trying to get 3 phase.

Cat Servant
The easiest, best way is with a decent VFD .... it will convert single phase to true three phase.

J
The VFD will work fine on the motor, but the controls could be damaged.
If all you need the 3 phase for is the motor, give me the motor name plate information. Specifically HP, voltage and current. Or you can go to www.kbelectronics.com. Here look for the inexpensive chassis type control. The dimensions will be approximately 4"x4"x2" for controls under 5 HP.

Note: The output of a VFD is not a true sign wave. It is a simulated sign wave derived from the DC bus on board the drive. This output is not as clean as a true sign wave like you would see with a transformer output. That is why you must use caution using motors that are not designed to be used on VFD's. Motors that are VFD rated have magnet wire that is rated for over 1500 volts and in some cases special bearings. Do not let this over concern you. It is just a warning of possible motor failure.

Last edited by JValdes; 10/18/08 12:04 PM.
JValdes #181610 10/19/08 10:08 PM
Unfortunatly, I would have to dismantle the macine to get at the motor so a VFD would be out.

G
It sounds like you'll need a special motor-generator set; sometimes called a 'rotary phase converter'.
It's a motor turning a generator. In your case, it sounds like you would get one that has a single phase motor driving a three phase generator.

Ghost307
Phil"
Ronkelectrical.com is a mfg of rotary and static phase converters.

Situation may be (is) they require ALL info on your load, so you may have to take it apart. How can you hook it up if you don't have the nameplate info? Voltage, HP, etc.

John
S
Look for the THD rating; a solid state phase converter with an output filter will have low THD, and won't be an issue. They make them specifically for this purpose, it's no different than the inverter on a UPS.

A motor generator may be the cheaper solution, or may not be, solid-state is getting pretty cheap anymore.

Just an update,
I let this slide as there were at least 4 other contractors looking at it. Interesting to note I was the only one who questioned the service 100a 1Phase residential. along with this 30a unit was: centreal A/C, oven, full size copier, 1 deep freezer(she wanted to ad 7 more), and the 20 space panel was full. Someone has already and completed the job. She told me it onlt took him 1.5 hrs. She also told me she signed a contract to fill a large order based on this machine before it was even wired/installed.

This being said I would like to know more about VF drives being used as phase converter. Does it effect the control? What is a THD rating? Why would you want to ever use a rotarty phase convertor if you coul use a drive?

Ob

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard