ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
As always Greg, with some thought your comments are understood and from someone who understands the issues and did some "street time"

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
G
I have had safety glasses around my neck on a croakey since I was in the computer business. I wear them everywhere and I slip them on at the hint of stuff flying, even if it is just a heated discussion.
I have them on now wink

As for hard hats, I beat up a Publix grocery store manager yesterday. They had a sign man working in a bucket truck in front of the entrance and no safety zone around it. There were women pushing baby carriages right under the bucket.
This guy, working alone, was juggling the "U" in the wind.
He needed a cheap slap from me instead of an expensive one from Dewey, Cheatum and Howe, attorneys at law.

Greg Fretwell
L
I agree Greg, There should be a "safety zone".

However... The women or men pushing babies under the boom...

Thats just plain stupid and any adult should recognize that hazard. The pusher should be punished.

If something went wrong.. They may need Dr. Howard,Dr.Fine, Dr. Howard!:)

G
You really couldn't see the guy working when you were coming out until you were under him. The bucket truck itself may not have really meant anything to someone who didn't understand what the outriggers, planted, mean. It would be easy to just assume he was parked there waiting for his buddy to get back with the 12 pack.
In real life most people are not really that aware of what is going on around them. They are too busy talking on the phone.

Greg Fretwell
R
Even if you have a "safety zone" that means squat.. People are actually stupid enough to walk right through it no matter what way you have it zoned off or they will get bent because now you have blocked their most direct path from point A to point B..

A.D

Originally Posted by Joe Tedesco
As always Greg, with some thought your comments are understood and from someone who understands the issues and did some "street time"

Umm, what is that supposed to mean?
Are you insinuating, Joe, that the rest of us are mere "arm-chair critics"?.

Not at all!

Greg and I go back many years, 1965 NEC, you are also one of the street savvy people in your part of the world too!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
W
WHat consists of a safety zone?? an area coned off? Is there a definiton somewhere of rules you have to follow in order to get a "safety zone"

H
Joe,

How are you buddy! Long time no talk. Anyway, I believe that NJ has a definition of "Qualified Persons" in their state lic. laws for electricians. I just got my new copy of the NJ laws on Sat. but the are home right now and I am at work. You can scan the NJ Dept. of Electrical Examiners and I believe it is out there.

Caper

Originally Posted by gfretwell
The bucket truck itself may not have really meant anything to someone who didn't understand what the outriggers, planted, mean.

A few cones with stakes and some danger tape may have cured that.
I've had the privilege of working in very pro-safety environments (and places with little training or concern for safety; worse than complacent, these guys had a contempt for safety concerns and procedures because it takes too long.)
I do believe (Partly because of liability) that we are the professionals and have a responsibility to protect the stupid from themselves (unfortunately) within reason; Darwin can have the unreasonably stupid ones.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard