ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
Happy Thanksgiving
by gfretwell - 11/26/20 08:52 PM
Insulated Tools: A Waste of Money?
by HotLine1 - 11/26/20 12:28 PM
Ground fault remover :-)
by NORCAL - 11/26/20 08:13 AM
Work Gloves?
by sabrown - 11/25/20 01:54 PM
What does your work place look like?
by Lostazhell - 11/25/20 02:56 AM
New in the Gallery:
Facebook follies, bad wiring
FPE in Germany pt.2
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
qualified to do electrical work #181215 09/25/08 03:32 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 183
jay8 Offline OP
I have a two part question:

1. The BC electrical safety regs 100/2004 part 1, Div 1 section 4 allows power engineers to perform electrical work.
Does anyone know the extent of the work they can perform?

2. Does anyone know a reference that specifies who may perform work on fire alarm systems? This does not include testing and/or verification.

Thanks in advance.

Tools for Electricians:
Re: qualified to do electrical work [Re: jay8] #181278 09/29/08 11:50 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 613
mikesh Offline
1 They work in a trade that has full trade qualifications IE an apprenticeship. They can do electrical work related to their trade. They can do instrumentation. pumps related to the boilers. Power to the boilers or other work related to power engineering. They can't wire your house.
2. Best guess is an unrestricted electrician, maybe a restricted class like Low Energy or Alarm.
Best bet for questions related to trade qualifications is the Safety Services office in New West. 604-660-6286. They administer all the electrical trades qualifications as well as elevating devices, Boilers, arial tramways and gas.

Re: qualified to do electrical work [Re: mikesh] #181309 10/02/08 08:38 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 183
jay8 Offline OP
thanks Mike, I did find a reference in the Vancouver Fire Bylaw about using acceptable agencies to work on fire alarm systems, but couldnt find any other such rules for other locations.

I will contact BCSA re the question on power engineers.

Re: qualified to do electrical work [Re: mikesh] #181338 10/04/08 11:35 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 20
YORKIE Offline
To instal Fire Alarm Systems in BC you must be an Electrician or hold an old certificate of qualification RB203. The RB203 is no longer offered but was a limited qualification for Security and Fire alarms issued a long time ago.The FSR named on thye permit would require a minimum B ticket.I hope this helps.

Re: qualified to do electrical work [Re: YORKIE] #181450 10/08/08 02:21 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 183
jay8 Offline OP
I agree that it should be an electrician (or someone indentured in the trade) for installation, but can you quote a rule on that?

Re: qualified to do electrical work [Re: jay8] #181520 10/14/08 11:14 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 613
mikesh Offline
The rules for Qualified workers is by Provincial legislation not code. Each Province has different rules.
BC legislation is Safety Standards Act 2003 C39 Section 88 plus M58 and M59
See also the Electrical Safety Regulation 100/2004 which is the M58 referenced above.
Code is enacted by legislation which makes it law. It is possible for a province to adopt other code. Concievably the province might decide the NEC might be the preferred code. I think Alberta wants to adopt another performance based code for the oil patch.


2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Posts: 21
Joined: September 2019
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Trumpy 9
Popular Topics(Views)
271,982 Are you busy
205,870 Re: Forum
193,932 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3