ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
jay8 Offline OP
I have a two part question:

1. The BC electrical safety regs 100/2004 part 1, Div 1 section 4 allows power engineers to perform electrical work.
Does anyone know the extent of the work they can perform?

2. Does anyone know a reference that specifies who may perform work on fire alarm systems? This does not include testing and/or verification.

Thanks in advance.

M
1 They work in a trade that has full trade qualifications IE an apprenticeship. They can do electrical work related to their trade. They can do instrumentation. pumps related to the boilers. Power to the boilers or other work related to power engineering. They can't wire your house.
2. Best guess is an unrestricted electrician, maybe a restricted class like Low Energy or Alarm.
Best bet for questions related to trade qualifications is the Safety Services office in New West. 604-660-6286. They administer all the electrical trades qualifications as well as elevating devices, Boilers, arial tramways and gas.

J
jay8 Offline OP
thanks Mike, I did find a reference in the Vancouver Fire Bylaw about using acceptable agencies to work on fire alarm systems, but couldnt find any other such rules for other locations.

I will contact BCSA re the question on power engineers.

Y
To instal Fire Alarm Systems in BC you must be an Electrician or hold an old certificate of qualification RB203. The RB203 is no longer offered but was a limited qualification for Security and Fire alarms issued a long time ago.The FSR named on thye permit would require a minimum B ticket.I hope this helps.

J
jay8 Offline OP
I agree that it should be an electrician (or someone indentured in the trade) for installation, but can you quote a rule on that?

M
Jay
The rules for Qualified workers is by Provincial legislation not code. Each Province has different rules.
BC legislation is Safety Standards Act 2003 C39 Section 88 plus M58 and M59
See also the Electrical Safety Regulation 100/2004 which is the M58 referenced above.
Code is enacted by legislation which makes it law. It is possible for a province to adopt other code. Concievably the province might decide the NEC might be the preferred code. I think Alberta wants to adopt another performance based code for the oil patch.

Link Copied to Clipboard