ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 256 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#180614 09/02/08 05:24 AM
O
OldAppy Offline OP
Howdy, How's everyone?

Can someone tell me a typical time span the network here in NZ turn off the H/W?

Cheers OA

OldAppy #180615 09/02/08 05:57 AM
Gidday Craig,
Why is it you ask this?
Our Power Board(Sorry Lines Company) here uses the 11pm ON and 7pm OFF, via Ripple control as far as Domestic controls are concerned.
There also used to be the afternoon boost during the Winter too, for 1 hour, 13:00-14:00.

Ray (RODALCO) who is a Vector Faults Technician, nearer to your area(Titirangi), could give better advice.

There are so many ways that Hot Water systems are controlled these days, it's hard to give one blanket statement, mate.

Trumpy #180616 09/02/08 06:25 AM
O
OldAppy Offline OP
Hey Mike,

My relay control hasn't worked for many years, the relays crap out real quick out here -

Long story short H/W is on a 20A MCB, i wanna chuck in a Monotron relay and hook up some control times to stop the cylinder from constantly trying to recover, so when the 2 teenage daughters have used all the hot water .. etc

Probably looking at have it set to go off @ 05:30 - 07:30 and 18:00 - 21:00

Power bill is brutal at the moment avg 1250Kw p/m for last 4 months.

Back at school - so oldappy again - inspectors this time :-)

OldAppy #180622 09/02/08 03:40 PM
R
OldAppy. Your hotwater should be on nearly 24/7.

There may be a brief cut between 1700 and 1900 hrs when the maximum demand is high in winter times.
Over the spring / summer / authum, no hotwater restrictions are done, unless in case of an important feeder being lost.

Woodlands park is on the pilot system controlled from Laingholm sub.
With the storms last month, we have had problems with trees shorting out the pilots and hence hotwater and streetlight complaints. Most of these are resolved in a couiple of days.

If your relay is crooked, phone your retailer and an EMS Vircom contractor will replace the relay. ( no charge )
Check if there is power on the incoming pilot. ( first terminal left of the neutral ) if not, the pole fuse may be corroded.
Also the contacts do burn out on some of the cheap Mexican relays, which were bought about 15 years ago. The symptoms are clearly visible in the latter.

Regards, Raymond RODALCO from Titirangi

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
RODALCO #180626 09/02/08 08:49 PM
S
Hello down below from up above. Not to take this thread off course, If I understand th posts, do you guys get hot water supplied like from a utility or community supplier? I guess it would make sense if there was a viable heat source like geothermal or something. Just carious

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
RODALCO #180629 09/03/08 03:59 AM
This is where all the energy is going.
I can't believe that a hot water system is being continuously energised.
45% of a house's power consumption is through an Immersion heater, more if it is old, just to keep the thing warm in the colder months.

Mind you, we are talking about Auckland here, the place that never gets below 10C grin

Like you say, Craig, you have teenage daughters, now that has to waste your hot water!

What size is your cylinder?, as it sounds like it might lack capacity.

BTW, if you run your cylinder with a timer on it, my lights down here might be a bit brighter!

Trumpy #180630 09/03/08 05:42 AM
O
OldAppy Offline OP
Well if you wanna live way down south where its cold - what do ya expect??? hahaha :-) brrr...

i haven't checked the house side of the relay box, best i get on to that..

Tank is 180L and 2 years old - unfortunately its no competition for 2 girls who believe a long shower ensures enduring beauty.

POCO controls a relay that enables on and off for a 3Kw hot water storage heater - apparently badly in lots of areas - either pilot, ripple control, wireless etc.. Raymond would be your man on that.

Mike do you know a bloke up these ways involved in Kendo last name "Stephenson"

Cheers Craig

OldAppy #180644 09/04/08 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by OldAppy

Mike do you know a bloke up these ways involved in Kendo last name "Stephenson"

Craig,
I have been involved in Kendo for about 20 years, but you can't know everyone, the Southern contingent, hardly ever gets in with the Northern part, this is due to travel costs and the logistical thing associated with it.

I'm currently limping through 2nd Dan, due to Tennis Elbow in my left arm, borne by lifting welders and pipes at work, the Doctor says it can take up to 2 years to heal, which is great when you can't even grab a cup of coffee in the morning, let alone a bamboo sword at night.
I would like to have more time for hobbies, but at the moment it just isn't possible.

sparkyinak #180657 09/04/08 02:54 PM
C
Nope, they are not Iceland.

They have electric water heaters, which are basically told when they can operate by external control of the lines company. They run an extra line to your home, which energises a contactor, which connects the water heater to your house power.

classicsat #180661 09/04/08 09:20 PM
S
thats different. Thanx

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard