ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 275 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
What do you guys think about sight wells in lieu of leaving a trench open. How many would you require, and where would they be placed?

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
S
If it is not practical for an open site inspection I have no problem on sight wells. This is a case by case basis. If there critcal issues with like bedding or compacting then sight well may not be the way to go. Same applies with the number of wells.

As far as where they would shound be placed, I would recommend above the buried conduit(s). If they were on the side or underneath the conduit, it would sort of be a mute point. smile All kidding aside, It is all a case by case basis. I think there are too many varibles to figure on to give a rule of thumb answer.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
W
All these out of work comedians, and the sparkys are trying to move in!!

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
S
Must keep all options open

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
S
They should be placed at ground level. We've had difficulty elevating them in the past, and the AHJs don't like to have to climb ladders.

As Alaska said, it's a case-by-case decision for me. Sometimes access has to be maintained for equipment, so a partial backfill is necessary, as long as I can see both sides, OK.

Going to a site and seeing the pole bases in place, and the parking lot sub-base down, now that causes an issue, start digging.

As to site wells, short lengths of PVC sitting on top of the conduit run and above grade may be acceptable, but on a case-by-case decision.

In any case, the EC should talk to the AHJ BEFORE hand to determine what is acceptable. Communications are cheaper then digging twice!

John
H
John is correct when he says to call the AHJ before starting any work. It is much easier than digging twice. I have people tell me all the time, "I took pictures!" The problem with that is after awhile, all the trenches look the same! I don't even look at pictures anymore. I would rather they use the sight pipe and back fill area that are critical for moving cars and machinery around the sight. Places like parking lots and condos where the trench is in the road, it would be to dangerous to leave the road open.

Tom Offline
I get along with sight wells, mainly when the trench is in a mobile home park or residential area. You still need to call me ahead of time though. No call, no sight well = shovel.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

Link Copied to Clipboard