ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
cgw Offline OP
If, when replacing a domestic range hood (typical standard non vented hood), the wiring had to be extended and a junction box installed, would behind the hood in the wall be accessible enough? The hood would have to be removed to access the juction box.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Some would say no to your question and it is on the fine line by definition.

Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building.

Being that the fan is structually attached and "blocking" the box would be the argument. However by simplify the situation, what is the difference bewteen the fan and an access panel that is held on by screws?

If I were the inpector, I would say if would be allowed only if there was no practial way of refeeding the power to the fan.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
E
I agree on this one. It's one thing to remove a blank plate or move a picture, etc. and yet another to have to dismantle a hood from the cabinet. There comes a point where it is truly a buried splice and in this case, I think it is a violation.

As professionals, we know that this kind of thing might be required and we can do it correctly, but bear in mind that much of the code is written with the anticipated actions of Harry Homeowner in mind. They can't allow it for pros and not allow it for old Harry.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
G
I agree with sparkyinak on this one. The old "Been there done that" kicks in. What's the hazard? Anyone who has a reason to trouble shoot the problem with the hood would soon discover the j-box and rectify the problem if it were a splice in the j-box.

Is this the hill you want to die on?

Where do you want me to mail the green sticker? wink

George Little
K
I've seen ceiling lighting fixtures that took more screws to remove to get to the junction box than a typical range hood has.

Cat Servant
As I see it ... how can you tell that there is a junction box behind the hood?

I can see myself looking into the wiring compartment, seeing a 'dead end' ....then spending hours looking for a hidden junction box.

It's bad enough if the box was used just to extend a pigtail - but if the wires also go off to other places, I see a real nightmare brewing.

IF I had to address such a situation, I'd probably try to follow the wire back, to a point where a box might be a little more 'find-able.' Say, by adding a receptacle inside that upper cabinet, or a 'clock receptacle' near the ceiling.

The topic is a bit dear to me at the moment .... recently I spent DAYS running down the faults in an older trailer. Who would have thought there was a receptacle behind the built-in GAS oven? (Yup, the oven - there once was a timer and a clock as well as a light - was the culprit).

Z
An excellent question this.

I was recently hired ot perform trim-out on a job that had been abandoned by a flakey EC (yes, I know all the pitfalls) and encountered this exact situation - the guy had ignored the detail on the plans and set the hood outlet directly behind where the hood was going. I considered all options, then finally decide to replace the entire wire run to avoid leaving a junction behind the hood. This required cutting out drywall for the 15' to the last accessible junction point.

On the other hand, I've seen a spa-type tub installed with the outlet and motor inaccesible without removing the entire tub, and to amazement, it passed. I guess it all comes down the inspector and his/her intrupretation of teh rules.

S
Originally Posted by Zapped
I guess it all comes down the inspector and his/her intrupretation of teh rules.

That is exactly what it is. Some enforce the word of the code while others enforce their interpretation. Still others enforce the intent. Sometimes all three types end with the same results and sometimes others turn into debates on this message board smile

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa

Link Copied to Clipboard