ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#179808 08/01/08 03:20 PM
H
Hey guys does anyone here in business of well pumps, irrigation electrical?

H
NoBody here is in the business of well pumps, Irrigation stuff? WOW!

It might help if you tell us what you're getting at.

Otherwise, a yes or no answer is all that this question requires.

G
My wife suddenly is (her golf course community has a dozen lakes and some ornamental ponds) which means I work on Aerators and pumps now.
What do you have going on?

Greg Fretwell
H
Thinking about getting into business of irrigation side of electrical. First I want to get into service side of it and then slowly do the whole thing. so I need some advice or tips if this is a good route to take. I'm really good with motor controls.

G
Most of this is really fairly simple stuff but it gets complicated by the fact that the motors are usually out in the weather, not in a mechanical room.
Your typical call is ants in the "bell" gumming up the start contacts.
I suppose a lot depends on what your typical customer is irrigating. I am thinking about golf courses and residential.
Around here your competition will be an (electrically) unlicensed guy who does this as part of his landscaping business. The AHJ seems to have a fairly blind eye about this and the labor people seem happy if the guy has any kind of license/insurance at all. (mostly that they have enough green cards to go around on any given day) They certainly exceed the scope of what most of us would call landscaping.

Greg Fretwell
M
My experience is that the irrigation contractor installs the system including any booster pump, motor, timer and all low voltage control wiring and has an EC come in after the fact to provide electric to the motor and timer.

H
Yes you are right! they come in and install everything and they also have a electrician on staff too. I'm thinking more on the service side to startoff. For example let say the control voltage transformer burns up, or mag starter heaters are bad or any other electrical issue with troubleshooting, or someone's control panel is too old, they want to replace the whole thing. I'm thinking I can charge them for a service call+parts.

Last edited by HighVoltageGuru; 08/14/08 09:17 AM.
Cat Servant
Seems like an overly narrow focus ... sort of like putting all your eggs in one basket.

Who will call you? The property manager, or the irrigation guy? Those are the folks who you need to get to know.
Then there is the issue of 'why call you?' You need to be able to state your abilities clearly, and in a manner that the customer can understand.

By it's very nature, farming is a seasonal business. What do you plan to do the rest of the year?

G
Maybe there is an "electrician" on staff in some union dominated state but down here in "right to work land" these things get fixed by a handyman kinda guy. Everyone seems surprised that my wife actually does hire a licensed electrician but he usually works for free golf games and used cooking grease for his truck.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard