ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
I'm trying to replace an old "Fasco" fan/light/heat combo.
The old one vents out the side. There is no room on the end to vent out the new ones, and I can't find a supplier that even makes one that vents out the side. I've tried
Nutone ( Broan ), Craftsmaid, Panosonic, Marley. Anyone know anyother brands I might try??? Only other option is to install it the other way, which will leave holes to patch in a "blown" ceiling, which probably will then have to be "reblown" or painted etc.... Help any suggestions. Thanks Steve...

Tom Offline
How about using a remote fan? I've used them a few times in the past when noise was an issue. Just remove the guts out of the existing fan, leave the old grille in place, duct over to the new one along with a little wiring, should do the trick.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
S
Tom, 2 things wrong with the idea in my application. 1st, I've already taken the old one down, and had to sort of "tear it up" to get it out. 2nd, there's no room in the attic for any serious work. My only other option at this point without having him redo his bathroom ceiling completely, is using a "high dollar" Panosonic unit which is big enough that I could install it either way and still have the trim cover to cover everything or another high dollar round Nutone fan that would barely cover with the exceptions of small portions. I told him about the Panosonic which is going to cost me around $ 290.00 probably, but he wants to wait and see if I can come up with another option. I've used about all the options I know. I've called every manufacturer I know,and none makes the exhaust to go out on the side of the rectangular fan. It seems that Fasco was the only one, other than one other one who said they no longer made them either. That manufacturer told me he had had other complaints about it too. You would think that after quite a few complaints and suggestions, they would incorporate it into their manufacturing process. Maybe there's some safety issue I'm not aware of ... Well thanks anyway, just another opportunity to use my imagination I guess. thanks Steve...

H
are you re-using the heat and light?

S
Got the fan in. I had to go with a high dollar Panosonic heat/fan/light combo. It was big enough that I could turn it in between the joist to get the vent to work right, and the cover still cover everything. I was hoping to be able to do it all from beneath, but I had to go in the attic to hook up the vent. I couldn't get the fan in place with the vent hooked up from below. The customer agreed since it was the only solution other than major ceiling work. Fan cost me $ 261.00 with a discount. I had to make 3 trips in all. I haven't gave him the bill yet though:( Steve....

Cat Servant
Oh, I think we can all relate to the nightmare of replacing a $30 vent fan!

Here are a few things I have found that make the job easier:

-Sometimes I an able to move the fan/motor assembly from the new unit to the old mounting plate;
- I can usually reach the mounting nails from below, with a long saws-it-all blade;
- From "Paws Off" tools, I was able to get ($30) a carbide grit rasp that fit in my saws-it-all. This rasp is a dream for making minor adjustments to poorly supported or water damaged drywall.

S
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Oh, I think we can all relate to the nightmare of replacing a $30 vent fan!
The good news is that the new ones are so cheap and fail so quickly, that you can often find the exact same model still for sale, and just swap out the bits that broke into the old box laugh

M
This is kinda strange. I just replaced the same fan without heat. I ran into the same problem. I went with a Broan 668RP. After I removed the old one I found the same issue with the side vent vs end vent. I ended up installing it the other way with the customer agreeing he would patch the ceiling.

Link Copied to Clipboard