ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
E
Originally Posted by SteveFehr
Virginia voted last week to allow the local utility to raise their rates 18% frown My electric bills are going to jump about $50/month, now!

Yeah, but Steve, this is their first rate hike in a very long time. You have to admit that we've been getting a pretty good deal and we knew it had to eventually catch up.

Since my bill averages about $200.00 a month year-round, I'm not too worried about it. Since VA Power is my only utility bill, I think I'm getting off pretty light even after the rate hike. People in my area on the Co-op have been paying much higher rates for years, so I consider myself very fortunate.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
B
Originally Posted by EV607797
[quote=SteveFehr]People in my area on the Co-op have been paying much higher rates for years

Is that taking into account the dividends the co-op pays?

W
What to you guys pay per kwh?? In Maine its over 16 cents and we're getting a rate increase also. The thing is we heat our homes for the most part with fuel oil. Its always been fuel oil was way cheaper than electricity but right now its real close

Originally Posted by pauluk

On the cash vs. credit card issue, I've never seen any filling station here posting different prices, but due to the merchant fees charged by the banks, many now have signs saying "Minimum credit card transaction £10," or something similar.

Back in the '70's, we saw that sort of thing here in the US for some time, and not just gas stations. I can see the merchant's point of view on this.

P
Originally Posted by Retired_Helper
Back in the '70's, we saw that sort of thing here in the US for some time, and not just gas stations.

Same here today -- Not just gas stations but many stores, especially smaller ones, put a minimum spend on a credit card.

Originally Posted by walrus
What to you guys pay per kwh??

At the current exchange rate of £1 = $1.98 my rates are:

Day usage: First 197 kw/h per 3 months, 38 cents per unit, then 22 cents for the remainder.

Night usage (Midnight - 7 a.m. winter / 1 a.m. - 8 a.m. summer): 4.6 cents per kw/h.

All plus 5% tax, no other service charges.

L
5/12-6/12---- 1904KWH=$311.22 (not bad since I have a heat pump for the pool (18x36-10') and central A/C)

Gas: (standing pilots) 47 ccf=$73.00.
Not cheap,

Now to the business side:
As some here know I do fire suppression, this includes portables (fire extinguishers).

The price list came out today from 1 manufacture. Anywhere from 8 to 30 % increase for the units (depending on the size) !!!!

Reasoning:
"...significant need for monoammonium phosphate and diammonium phosphate."
These are the key ingredients for your ABC extinguishers.

Apparently, these items are found in the fertilizer (or the making of)used to grow the corn for ETHANOL.

So here we go..................

"DAP and MAP prices have risen 300% since early 2007, as farmers have sought to maximize crop yields- especially corn for ETHANOL production""

INFO ONLY !!!!!!!! I LOVE FARMERS!!!!!!

S
Originally Posted by walrus
What to you guys pay per kwh?? In Maine its over 16 cents and we're getting a rate increase also. The thing is we heat our homes for the most part with fuel oil. Its always been fuel oil was way cheaper than electricity but right now its real close
Oh, our electricity rates in VA are still cheap as hell, but I have electric heat and AC, an 18% hike is an 18% hike and it still hurts when it comes on top of a $250 electric bill. The rate varies seasonally by about 2 cents; I think with this raise it will be up to an average of around 7 cents/kWh.

Whereabouts in Maine do you live? Bangor Hydro still has quite a bit of cheap hydro power, but they make up the difference with an equal amount of diesel generators.

Cat Servant
One thing to consider are the miscellaneous charges on the power bill. While my bill claims a rate of about 8 cents/kwh, by the time you add in those extra fees, the real rate is over 14 cents.

W
Originally Posted by SteveFehr
[quote=walrus]
Whereabouts in Maine do you live? Bangor Hydro still has quite a bit of cheap hydro power, but they make up the difference with an equal amount of diesel generators.

After deregulation Bangor Hydro had to sell all its generating assets. I don't believe any power in Maine is made by diesels. The biggest plants that I know of are Natural gas and the gas comes from Sable island. Wiscasset Nuke plant got torn down. Dams are are getting torn down for Atlantic Salmon.

E
Salmon or humans.....Things that make you say "what the..."?

Reno: The last time I checked out KWh rate, I simply took the grand total of the bill and divided it by the meter reading. It came out to a little over 6 cents/KWh. That is really the only method I can think of to determine the REAL cost of any measured service you are buying. While I'm not happy about any increases, I guess that we've dodged a bullet considering the insane increases in the cost of everything else out there that we buy.

Steve, I just saw in the paper today that Dominion is rocking ahead on the third reactor at Lake Anna. I can't wait.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard