ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
pauluk Offline OP
Still no sign of any permanent repair on the cable head yet, but with the windy conditions overnight, now the guy line has broken as well:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Closer view of corrosion; several strands just snapped right through as I picked up the end:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by pauluk; 02/01/08 07:21 AM. Reason: Added photo.
S
If it is still standing after all the wind, maybe a guy wire is not needed smile Just kidding.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Originally Posted by pauluk
Still no sign of any permanent repair on the cable head yet, but with the windy conditions overnight, now the guy line has broken as well

That doesn't look too good Paul, power companies don't often guy poles for the sheer fun of it.
Has someone called EDF to notify them of the failure?

Maybe when the whole thing falls over, it will finally get repaired properly.

P
pauluk Offline OP
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Has someone called EDF to notify them of the failure?

I called them Friday afternoon and was quite surprised when a crew rolled up Saturday morning! I didn't think they'd bother about sending anyone out until after the weekend for a non-urgent thing like this.

Anyway, we now have a nice shiny new guy line, with one of the newer "square" insulators in matching silver-gray:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by noderaser
Maybe when the whole thing falls over, it will finally get repaired properly.

More or less what one of guys I spoke with said. He pretty much agreed that it's what I've thought for some time: EDF no longer carries out much in the way of preventative maintenance. They only come out when somebody reports a problem or there's a big bang and the lights go out. frown

Funnily enough, I was making the most of a sunny day yesterday to do some work on a vehicle outside when I saw a couple of EDF linemen in fluoro jackets walking up the road dropping envelopes off at every house, so I met them at the gate. They were delivering notices about a planned outage for Saturday, February 16th.

For one moment I thought they were actually going to tell me that EDF was going to replace the tatty feeder on "my" pole outside and finally fix the lashed up head. No...... They're installing a new xfmr over at the caravan park somewhere and are doing some HV work at the same time.

One of the guys turned out to be one of the crew who did the temporary job on the head back in the summer though, of which he was reminded when I mentioned it.

"That was months ago, wasn't it?" and looked up at the pole. He was surprised that nobody else had been back to do anything else yet. Then he noticed the new stay wire and laughed. Turns out it was his brother I'd been talking to on Saturday.

S
It's sad; when budgets get cut, preventative maintenance is the first thing to go. After all, who can afford an ounce of maintenenace when you're already in the hole trying to pay for that pound of cure?

P
pauluk Offline OP
Would you believe that finally a couple of guys rolled up this morning? It turns out they're from some outfit called Freedom Power Lines who are subcontracted by EDF for cable replacements. They'd only been given the vaguest idea about "something" needing to be done at this pole (that really inspires confidence, doesn't it?).

Anyhow, after deliberating and paying a visit to the sub-station on the next block to assess, they've gone away to put in an order to run a completely new underground feeder from the sub to the pole, so it looks as though this job might be completed -- At last!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard