ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
mahlere, Not content or satisfied with the current fuel situation. I filled up the tank in my van and it cost $125.00. I feel like I'm just working to pay for gas now. But that same 30 gals or so would've cost twice as much in the UK and $552.90 (USD) in Sierra Leone. It could always be worse, no one is shooting at you or dropping mortars on your head...

J
The only good thing about it, I'm hoping the crunch will finally convince my employer to go to 4 - !0's.

Three day weekends every week rock!

G
I have had a few guys working on my addition and I get the feeling they are really only working for gas money. I had to give my roofer a partial payment so he could buy gas to get back the next day.
I really don't understand how the guys who drive around picking up scrap metal are making any money at all. I gave a Mexican couple about 40-50 pounds of aluminum but they will end up burning a half tank of gas before they get home with the money

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by judsin
The only good thing about it, I'm hoping the crunch will finally convince my employer to go to 4 - !0's.

Three day weekends every week rock!
Honestly, me, too! We have 5-4-9 right now (9 hour days, every other friday off) but I'd go 4-10 in a heartbeat if I could. And not just for the gas prices, but also the time lost in conjestion- every day at work means 1.5 hours lost on the roads. There's really no reason NOT to go 4-10.

I'd much rather be telecommuting. 90% of the time, I can do my job just as well from my home as I can from the office, but gas is free and there's 0 commute time.

M
I started thinking about installing a taxi cab meter into my van the other day. That might sorta simplify the problems and process of recovering the cost of fuel and its instability in pricing. I could reset it at the startout dispatch and add that into any billing. Sort of a flat rate billing with a fuel surcharge that is a metered situation I could verify to the customers. At the very least it would serve to continue to remind me every time I put the key into that gas hog that it is costing me money to go from point A to point B no matter how close or how far. Anybody know where to get one, and how difficult it would be to have it installed?

M
And a two minute Google search produced this excellent result. [url=http://www.taxicabelectronics.com/][/url] This may be a rather good idea....

Cat Servant
And I bet you thought you were being funny! Actually, this was a topic in our chat recently.

Taximeters cost about $250, and you can set them for any values you wish. Perhaps a good setting would be your shop rate / hr, plus the IRS mileage deduction. When you finish the job, that plus your parts would give you your invoice amount.

Maybe that's not such a bad way to do things.

K
With the rise in gas prices maybe cars will finally go electric and then electricians might have another market to go into. Well a bigger market in the automobile industry at least. Just trying to look on the bright side.

S
Actually, the infrastructure required for EVs... well, I'll start another thread for that one!

M
Originally Posted by renosteinke
And I bet you thought you were being funny! Actually, this was a topic in our chat recently.

I was dead serious about it. But you know me, I always think I'm funny smile. Good to hear I was not the only one to think about a taxi meter. I thought it might be extreme thinking on my part (crazy). Still, I would not return to T+M billing. An added gas surcharge to my dispatch fee might work, based on the meter printout. The only way to find out is to try it.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard