ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 279 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Solar,
While NPT may leak, it has a much tighter seal than when conduit is used with straight thread couplings. You can get a good interference fit when both the male and female parts are threaded.

Don(resqcapt19)
E
230.43 covers allowable wiring methods for service-entrance conductors. We cannot use plumbing pipe. Must be listed conduit: either RMC or IMC for masts.

Earl
Cat Servant
All right, I admit it, I was wrong ... there IS a reference to the NEC frown. BTW, who's SCE? laugh

Now, let's look at exactly what both the local (SPPCo) specs, and the NEC have to say about the periscope mast.

The PoCo spec says "minimum 2" rigid steel." That's it. There is also considerable detail as to bracing, etc., not included in the NEC. I've attached a copy.

The NEC, regarding "Service Masts as Supports," simply says "it shall be of adequate strength." Further on, it continues "Where raceway-type service masts are used, all raceway fittings shall be identified for use with service masts."

Now, the wording of all those citations seems to suggest that there is no requirement to use ant particular material - that the mast can be made in nearly any manner, including by using conduit. There is a notable failure to use words such as "listed," or even specific trade terms, such as 'rigid metallic conduit.'

Lest we forget from whence we came, this pic shows a house here that has already had one service upgrade:

[Linked Image]

Please note that the original mast was all wood; the steel mast is 1 1/4 RMC (I assume), and was replaced (by me) with the current 2" RMC.

I apologize for the size of the next file, but I wanted everyone to be able to print off a good copy. This is one page -of about five- of the local PoCo specs regarding overhead residential service drops.

[Linked Image]

As outrageous as it may seem to use water pipe, the amount of weakening that may be caused by coupling two pieces together, rather than using a single piece of pipe, is not to be casually ignored. 100 ft. cable drop, 80mph winds, inclines and other reasons requiring a substantial projection above the roof .... all can require the 'standard' methods be reviewed.
For example ... that 40" maximum projection above the roof shown in the PoCo specs ... I was REQUIRED to exceed that by clearance requirements over an intervening building. Naturally, that mast required some substantial bracing.

Again, let's return to the very basics of the NEC (as outlined in Article 90). 90.4 make clear that it is the responsibility of the AHJ to interpret the rules, approve materials and methods, etc. "One size fits all" works in codebooks just about as well as it does in clothing .... that is, it doesn't - and this discussion underscores that point.

G
I guess the real question is whether there is any difference in the pipe? Does this all come off the same assembly line in China and some gets marked as conduit, the rest gets marked as plumbing pipe?

Greg Fretwell
M
I was taught a very long time ago that the reason for tapering the threads is that it allows explosive gases to cool as they are forced out thru the threads if there is an internal explosion in a rigid conduit in a hazardous enviroment. This info may not or may be true, I have no idea. Never researched it at all.

G
I have always heard that the tapered thread pipe actually seals metal to metal. The "dope" or "teflon" is only there to act as a lubricant.

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I have always heard that the tapered thread pipe actually seals metal to metal. The "dope" or "teflon" is only there to act as a lubricant.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. See for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_pipe_thread , which explains, "... a clearance remains between the crests and roots of the threads, resulting in a leakage around this spiral. This means that NPT fittings must be made leak free with the aid of thread seal tape or a thread sealant compound."

Last edited by SolarPowered; 05/30/08 09:50 AM.
R
Jon,
If you put wire in it is conduit. The fact that it is also used as a mast does not change the fact that it is a raceway and is covered by the NEC as it is installed on the load side of the service point. The NEC requires all raceways to be listed.

Don(resqcapt19)
Cat Servant
Don, that's where the NEC has me puzzled. It starts off by saying IF raceway materials are used as the mast ....

As shown in my first pic, there are plenty of way to have a mast- without using a raceway at all.

Otherwise, the language seems to suggest that there just might be other ways to make a mast, apart from using electrical conduit. Are they suggesting this? Or, are they referring to perhaps using, say, EMT for the wire - and something else to take the loading? I simply don't know. It seems that if the code panel wanted to require you to make the mast in a particular manner, with particular materials, they certainly could have said so.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard