ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
Locally a metals supplier/fab shop was threading pipe for $10.00 a thread it's been a while so may be more now.

J
Any big commercial/industrial electrical contractor should be able to thread pipe. I remember at my old job we used to thread pipe for smaller companies/individuals sometimes.

I guess a machine shop should be able to thread pipe but electrical-type threads aren't the same as machine threads are they?

Cat Servant
Judsin, a machine shop can make any kind of threads you want. It's their business to cut, drill, and shave metal into unusual - yet precise - shapes.

In our case, the NEC says to use NPT taper threads. That's all you need to tell the shop.

R
reno,
How is the mast not conduit?.

Don(resqcapt19)
Cat Servant
The mast is subject to PoCo rules, not NEC rules .... and PoCo specs, at least in my experience, lack such terms as 'listed.'

S
The mast should be installed IAW PoCo standards. The rule of thumb is the PoCo is responsible up to the meter until something goes wrong with it then it is the customers that suddenly becomes responsible.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
J
Threading ridged conduit, the threads are the same as a water pipe. NPT is the standard. Take any plumping fitting and you can easily thread it onto a peice of stock ridged pipe.

E
I thought conduit threads were straight where plumbing threads are tapered. I know that I have tried to use a plumbing nipple before as a conduit nipple and the locknut won't thread all the way down, while at the end, the locknut is very loose-fitting.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
R
Originally Posted by renosteinke
The mast is subject to PoCo rules, not NEC rules .... and PoCo specs, at least in my experience, lack such terms as 'listed.'

The mast is typically on the load side of the service point and is covered by the NEC. In addition to being covered by the NEC, there may be size and support rules from the utility if the service drop is being supported by the mast.

Don(resqcapt19)
R
Ed,
Conduit and plumbing pipe both should have the same threads... 3/4" to the foot taper.
NPT - National Pipe Thread Taper ANSI/ASME B1.20.1

This is the thread that is specified in 344.28 and its FPN.

The real difference is that conduit couplings are straight thread and plumbing couplings are tapered.

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard