ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
I am wiring an indoor bathtub which has a "blower" unit. Since it doesn't actually circulate water but blows air instead is this considered a hydromassage tub by defintion?

The reason I am asking is that there is no bonding lug on the motor - in fact everything seems to be plastic. The plumbing is all plastic pex until it reaches the valves. I was planning to run the #8 solid from a grounding clamp near the valves to the motor but since there is no lug on the motor...

Should I connect the #8 solid to my equipment ground at my receptacle? I realize that is not the intent of the code to ground metal parts, rather to bond them together.

Also, the manufacturers instructions mention nothing more than to install a dedicated GFCI circuit and mention nothing about bonding etc.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
It doesn't sound like there is anything to bond and nothing likely to energize the valves. I don't suppose it would hurt to bond them to the EGC but there is no code language I know of to require it.

Greg Fretwell
B
The best thing to do when you are not sure how to define an assembly or a piece of equipment is to locate the UL marking and listing. Even if the product is investigated and tested per one of the other NRTL, it will have to meet a particular standard.

For your particular instances, look for UL 1795. This would mean the tub assembly is listed as a hydrotub. Once you know that, then you can apply the requirements of Part VII of Article 680 and the UL guideinfo use and installation requirements.

In my opinion, no bonding is required per your description of the installation.

Last edited by BPHgravity; 05/22/08 12:22 PM.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter

Link Copied to Clipboard