ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 412 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
"Designer"? Ohhh you mean "DECICRATOR"!!!( I think that is how it is spelled).
A.D

C
My former employer had a GC/realtor who would bend over backwards to make a sale.

More than once we arrived at finish to find a completly redesigned kitchen. Of course we were never told.

Said employers standard technique in these cases was to destroy the drywall and add a huge change order.

G
Sorry if I am late on this but it points out a problem my wife always complained about in the house building biz. Why do trades try to patch around a problem and not just tell someone the first time they see it?

Her classic example was a house she was walking for another super.
The original problem was a truss misplaced, it left a 2x4 sticking out in a corner. The drywaller drywalled around this protrusion, the trim carpenter did a beautiful job of boxing it with crown and the painters painted it. Nobody said "what is this board doing here? None of the other 100 houses we built had it". Something that might have been a 30 second problem became a major repair because nobody said anything. If these trimmers or drywall guys had pointed out your box placements were a problem the fix would have been easy.
She even went as far as to reward people who pointed out a problem that was not in their trade.

Greg Fretwell
G
My wife used to paint all the door swings on the floor at framing time along with the placements of ceiling fans, TV/phone outlets, "carpet or tile?" and anything else that would help the trades that came along after that. She said it also helped the customer visualize what they were looking at on the pre-drywall walk.
A lot of problems were avoided

Greg Fretwell
D
Originally Posted by twh
width of cabinets, etc.

Reminds me of a job we did with my old EC. The woodworker changed the dimensions of the custom cabinets without informing the GC (I forget if the customer changed them or if this was simply a goof).

We had installed a box for the over sink sconce for "X" centerline, and while the cabinets were being placed discovered that "X" was now +/- 7" out of line.

Yes, we can change the box location.

No, it was installed according to the original prints.

Yes, this does constitute a "change".... sign here please.

W
Just finished one the other day, small cabin in the woods, drawn with a 6 foot vanity in a corner of the bath room. I installed the light fixture box 3 feet out of this corner, on center with the vanity. Fast forward to the trim out, the light and GFCI are off center!! I inquired with the GC(home owner) and was informed that she had decided to shorten the vanity to 4 feet, " is it going to be a problem?" she asked. My reply was no problem just sign this change order, and call the sheet rockers to fix the hole. Gotta love those GC home owners!

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard