ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 474 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
ultramegabob #176437 04/01/08 06:18 PM
G
Spend the $25.00 and buy it first and have it with you always.

It is called a voltage tester.

Learn how to use it from more than one journeyman.

Im talking analog not digital.

BTW, when that Wiggy snaps loudly it means what it sounds like, "Danger High Voltage"

Good luck.

Disclaimer added. Learn the difference of 600 volts and below as opposed to "High Voltage" above 600 volts.

Dont test with a Wiggy.

Last edited by Gmack; 04/01/08 06:22 PM.
Gmack #176447 04/01/08 09:23 PM
K
KJ Offline
seriously,
to do this right, you need a quality tape measure, preferably one witha replacement warranty, like greenlee, or craftsman,
i personally use craftsman screwdrivers, (i just dont like buying tools everytime i wear them out,and craftsman are great for replacing worn tools,)i like the klein d2139necr crimp stlye yellow handle 9 inch linemans pliers,and a good ideal brand wire stripper,and a romex nm cable stripper, if you use it alot, a good 12 inch hacksaw with a fine tooth blade,
a 9 inch magnetic torpedo level,a set of nut drivers,or a stsandard socket set, both the large and small set of multi allen wrenches,a new sharpie marker(i carry multipack, with all the basic electrical colors(red,black,blue,white,green)and brown orange and yellow, if you use 277/480 often),a hammer,a nail apron, and a tool pouch, or bucket with a liner pouch.any power tools, ladders, etc will come with time, and whatever contractor/company you work for will have them at your disposal during apprenticeship.
having a current codebook,and a notebook and pen are always an asset too.
listen with your ears, not your mouth, pay attentin, always test before you cut, live and learn.take your time, avoid mistakes, be neat, and clean up your area when you are done.

most of all, have fun.

KJ #176456 04/02/08 06:34 AM
W
What a person needs for tools varies with the job they are going to do. Residential guys don't need the same tools as an industrial guy.

walrus #176457 04/02/08 06:38 AM
S
Everyone needs a good pocketknife, though. And I mean everyone, regardless of profession!

renosteinke #176471 04/02/08 07:53 PM
K
laugh Ahh Come on...
Show the kid some pictures laugh of those nifty Harbor Freight Tools !! laugh laugh

Sorry, I couldn't resist grin

KJay #176472 04/02/08 08:06 PM
Cat Servant
Don't tempt me ... laugh

renosteinke #176521 04/05/08 01:52 AM
E
there are two tools that are always in my pocket on a jobsite, a 10-in-1 screwdriver (I actually like the Ace brand one, I've never broken one of the bits, and I lose the pieces too often to consider a Klein) and a pair of Klein wire stripers, just about everything else depends on the job.

Elviscat #176526 04/05/08 11:01 AM
My situations different from the OP's, but here's my list at school:

Klein wire cutters
Klein wire strippers (with the blue handle and plier tips)
No name linemans pliers
Klein flathead screwdriver (although I'm taking in a 10-in-1)
Stanley utility knife w/ an extra blade
No name broom
No name shovel
No name dustpan

If I had to carry any of them around, it would be the screwdriver, wire strippers and the knife.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
B
I work primarily in maintenance, with some installation work thrown in for good measure. in my bag, and what i'd recommend, is;

pliers, sidecutters and long nose pliers, 2 pairs of multigrips, 2 8" shifters, 3meter tape measure, a terminal, medium and really big flatblade screwdriver, and terminal and medium phillips head, large hammer, flat bastard file. 1" paint brush, stanley knife, metric and imperial ball ended allen keys, tap wrench and a fluke T1000 voltage tester/multimeter.

I almost always have a pen, notebook and a smal torch in my pocket, as well as the terminal screwdriver.

also, i have a hacksaw, hammer, conduit cutters, crimpers back in my cupboard if i need it.

At work, I don't have to worry about power tools or ladders, as they are supplied by the company. Most of my hand tools are sidchrome, and i was happy enough with these to buy almost the equivalent for home.

I did have a 6" steel ruler which was invaluable for lifting my sandwhices out of the press.

your union may have a list of what tools are expected of each employee, though of course you may add to it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard