ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tom Offline OP
Over the weekend, the 5th & 6tth fatality, since the current copper price surge started, occured in the Mountain State.

A 22 year old man tried to steal some copper from a substation in the Southern part of the state. He became entangled in the live wires. His accomplice went & got the victims father who tried to free his son. Unfortunately, the father touched an energized conductor and also perished.

The incident left 600 AEP customers without power.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
R
Know what, I don't mean to sound harsh but I have no sympathy for thieves. I will leave it at that..
Almost seems that copper is more valuable than gold...
Forget trying to break into Fort Knox, thats almost kids stuff now, its a bigger heist to rip off your local distrubution network LOL!

A.D

G
I agree with A.D.
I am more concerned about the 600 customers whose beer got warn when they lost power. I don't know why we think theft is such a minor crime ... when they are stealing from someone else. A theft from anyone is a theft from all of us.

Greg Fretwell
C
The thief you catch in the act deserves to pay for not only everything you've ever had stolen but every lock you've ever had to purchase and every inconvenience you've ever suffered while planning your life around being able to watch your property.

As far as copper and gold go my wholesaler told me this morning they are getting closer. He claimed 1/0 THHN went up 23% since Thursday!!!

Tom Offline OP
I too have no sympathy for victim #5, but it is a shame that the father got it when he tried to rescue his no good son. I'm starting to think that WV leads the nation in per capita electrocutions during copper theft.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
R
I have also no sympathy for victim # 5. No loss there.

It costs all of us many extra dollars in our monthly powerbills for assets damaged by these copper thieves who stealing from the electricity networks.

They also put the general public at risk. When earthcables are removed from transformers or switchgear, exposed metal parts may become alive and could kill someone.

In certain cases with polemounted switchgear the protection could fail to detect an earth fault and keep live wires energised without tripping the feeder.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
J
No sympathy for the father either. If he was a law abiding member of society, he would have called the authorities, not try to get his son out of trouble.
I hate to say this, but I feel like this loss of life may have a positive effect. Each time someone is killed like this, maybe just maybe others may see the danger. But I doubt it.

G
Originally Posted by JValdes
Each time someone is killed like this, maybe just maybe others may see the danger. But I doubt it.

I also doubt it. Too many people "think" they know what they are doing and they will never get hurt. Most People just have no respect at all for electricity.

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

Cat Servant
A note to all ....

I've edited this thread, "with an axe," because it was getting a bit off topic.

While I may personally share some of your sentiments ... really, now, do we need to try to 'out macho' the other guy?

We can all agree that stealing is bad, and that's why crimes are punished. We can also sympathize with the innocent victims of criminal acts.

Let's look at these theft reports as a 'heads up' in out lives .... so we can protect ourselves, our property, and our loved ones.

I don't know if the same figures are available in other countries for the copper price but this link takes you the the price in Australian Dollars (US$1.00 is around AU$1.10 today)

http://www.olex.com.au/Miscellaneous/Copper-Price.html

Last edited by 32VAC; 04/04/08 12:00 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard