ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#176293 03/28/08 09:10 PM
J
JoeyD Offline OP
For those with employee's, do you pay travel time to jobs?
Lets say you meet at the shop at 7am, load the truck and on the road by 7:15, at the job by 7:45. What time do you think the employee should be paid from?
Now if you don't pay travel time to the 1st job, what about the second or third or what ever? Lets say you do 3-5 service calls per day but sometimes you only do one job per day.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
JoeyD #176296 03/28/08 09:20 PM
H
In your example above, the employee would be on the clock at 7am. As soon as the employee starts performing work they are on the clock.

Also, the employee would be on the clock until he/she returns the truck to the shop.

Let's say you worked in an office. One morning your boss stops by and says, "From now on I need you to stop by our downtown office, pick up a box of paperwork, return to the suburban office (where you typically work) and then start processing the paperwork. Your 8 hour shift will start when you return to the suburban office."

What would you say to your boss ?

Last edited by HEI_Inc; 03/28/08 09:22 PM.
HEI_Inc #176297 03/28/08 09:32 PM
L
LK Offline
The employee is on the pay roll as soon as he clocks in at 7:00 and is paid every minute he is on the road, in my state the workers comp covers his medical if he in in an accident, and if i don't have him on the books, and there is an accident, I am in deep deep do do, and could loose everything.

LK #176298 03/28/08 10:08 PM
G
Where this gets shaky is when you tell the employee to meet you at the job site (driving his or her own vehicle) in the next town over. Does (s)he get paid for driving to the job? How do you compute it? Distance from the shop or some formula that takes into account where (s)he lives?

Greg Fretwell
LK #176299 03/28/08 10:09 PM
J
JoeyD Offline OP
I agree about your on the clock when you get to the shop. This is a situation my brother is in. The employer doesn't think travel time to the job should be paid, or back to the shop.
Just looking to see what others are doing.

JoeyD #176301 03/28/08 10:21 PM
L
From shop to job, Paid.
"meet me at the job" 7 AM start time. If you elect to meet me at 9AM. so be it. I'll be there at 7AM waiting.
If I must return to the shop at the end of the day. Then that time should be coverd aswell, and if you want to hold me there for an hour or 2 and discuss the days events and tommorows schedule, that is paid time too.
If not, place an add, you need a worker.

leland #176312 03/29/08 12:15 PM
J
JoeyD Offline OP
I think the big issue is the guy wants my brother to take a van home and he can't. No room to park it. He can't use it to do anything but to and from work so he needs his own vehicle.
He would still have to go to the shop in the am and not get paid to pick up the other guy and then go to the job or jobs for the day. He is on his own time back to the shop at night and feels it's a fair compromise to be paid for the morning ride to the job from the shop.

leland, I like your thinking and would do the same in a second. You can't be taken advantage of and you must give and take.

JoeyD #176314 03/29/08 12:39 PM
L
LK Offline
Originally Posted by JoeyD
I think the big issue is the guy wants my brother to take a van home and he can't. No room to park it. He can't use it to do anything but to and from work so he needs his own vehicle.
He would still have to go to the shop in the am and not get paid to pick up the other guy and then go to the job or jobs for the day. He is on his own time back to the shop at night and feels it's a fair compromise to be paid for the morning ride to the job from the shop.

leland, I like your thinking and would do the same in a second. You can't be taken advantage of and you must give and take.

It depends what state your in, if your in a state that had their commercial truck insurance tied to comp insurance for medical, then the employye has to be paid when ever he in in the truck, even if he is just the second man, both guys in the truck must be on the clock anytime they are in the truck, a lot of cheap EC's try to cheap out, and just don't understand the gravity of harm that cam come from not folowing the law, until they have an employee in an accident.

LK #176320 03/29/08 04:10 PM
G
Like LK says there are insurance ramifications of letting employees drive company vehicles "off the clock".
You can also run afoul of the IRS. If they are using a company vehicle to "commute" that may be "compensation" and you might have to pay tax it (is it really "business use"?).
IBM ran into that problem when started buying guys a van and we let guys take their van home. They got around it somehow by saying it was a security issue (having a van with $100,000 worth of parts parked outside the shop).
They ended up making the guy's "point of reporting" his house so he got paid to drive back and forth from work.
Then the question became "how many stops can you make on your way home from work".
It was real can of worms.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #176330 03/29/08 06:10 PM
L
I still stand firm!!! From home to the shop.. your on your own.
Once at the shop. Your on the clock. Return the truck to the shop. Punched out.

No ifs ands or buts about it.

I had an employer, wanted to adjust my income for use of the van (for tax purposes, perfectly legal).
I said Fine, I'll be here at 7AM to start the van, and it will be back here at 3PM. That would mean he would have to pay for 2-3 hrs a day of no production. He thought different of it.

Now I leave at 6AM and return home around 4PM. He pays from 7-3. But, when I'm in the van he still owns the responsability.

PS: If you are carrying anything for the employer in your personal vehicle. You crash.. Put it on the companies insurance. Or charge a currier fee.

Last edited by leland; 03/29/08 06:12 PM. Reason: PS:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard