ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
A 5-20(20a) receptacle is legal on a 15a circuit?
by libellis - 10/10/21 12:46 PM
GFCI's pops in large numbers
by dsk - 10/07/21 03:46 PM
Backup Generator Done Right
by timmp - 10/06/21 02:07 PM
How's all our Non-US folks doing?
by dsk - 09/30/21 05:06 AM
Well I am back to stay (nearly 6 years)
by Bill Addiss - 09/26/21 11:09 PM
New in the Gallery:
240/208 to a house
240/208 to a house
by wa2ise, October 9
Now you know.
Now you know.
by Tom_Horne, September 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (NORCAL), 10 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#176186 03/24/08 12:51 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 33
W
wacked Offline OP
Member
I was talking to a friend who recently wired his own house. He said that the code stated that there was a requirement to have red loomex for heating circuits, blue for bedrooms, yellow for lights etc. He lives in a different city.... I recently wired my brothers new house with your basic white loomex and had no problem with the inspector. I checked the BC electrical code/bulletins/directives and found nothing on this. Does anybody have any comments on this? Maybe there are local rules with certain inspectors?

wacked #176187 03/24/08 01:29 PM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 106
M
Member
Originally Posted by wacked
I was talking to a friend who recently wired his own house. He said that the code stated that there was a requirement to have red loomex for heating circuits, blue for bedrooms, yellow for lights etc. He lives in a different city.... I recently wired my brothers new house with your basic white loomex and had no problem with the inspector. I checked the BC electrical code/bulletins/directives and found nothing on this. Does anybody have any comments on this? Maybe there are local rules with certain inspectors?

There is no code rules stating what color you have to use.


Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 558
R
Member
AFAIK there is no code issues the colouring is just there to provide a means to identify conductor size, voltage and circuit type in a round about way for when the inspector comes.. I have heard of houses where the general lighting and receptacles were done in blue and the AFCI's in white with no problem BUT I almost got 'dinged once for using a piece of 12/2 yellow ( black and white conductors) for a 240V electric heater instead of the 12/2 red ( black and red conductor), even though I identified the white wire as a hot.

A.D
A.D

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 106
M
Member
Originally Posted by Rewired
BUT I almost got 'dinged once for using a piece of 12/2 yellow ( black and white conductors) for a 240V electric heater instead of the 12/2 red ( black and red conductor), even though I identified the white wire as a hot.

A.D
A.D

The inspector probably mentioned this because you cannot tape any wires under a certain size.(if thats how you indentified it) Just like you can't use 3 wire BX for a isolated ground anymore. You have to use the AC90 with a bare bond wire and insulated green wire.


Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 231
R
Member
No size limitation for rendering the identified conductor unidentifiable when using loomex or bx.

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 60
R
Member
That is correct... take a look at 4-034(1).

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 558
R
Member
Mr_Electrician:
The reason I was given is " Someone may mistake it for a 120V circuit and tap into it".. A bit far fetched if you ask me, and I have seen tons of 240V installs that have been done with regular 2 conductor ( black and white ) romex with no problems... I wonder what would have been said if I happened to have used AC-90, how that would have played out.

Speaking of AC-90, I have worked with the "iso ground" AC-90 before. I was told it was because of too many people connecting the red to a breaker and not to ground, making for a dangerous situation..
I am not sure and I will check, but I *think* that regular 3-conductor AC-90 may be used as long as the red conductor is sleeved with green heat-shrink tubing and NOT taped, and done in every box the cable is spliced or terminated at..

A.D

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 444
S
Member
There was an ESA bulletin on this. Ever since iso wire became available, we can longer use regular 3 wire BX as iso ground on new installations. Some inspectors may close an eye, but in the eyes of the code, it is a violation.


Sandro #176310 03/29/08 10:47 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 265
S
Member
Originally Posted by Sandro
Ever since iso wire became available, we can longer use regular 3 wire BX as iso ground on new installations. Some inspectors may close an eye, but in the eyes of the code, it is a violation.


Our inspector told me that we can't use regular 3 wire BX for isolated grounds also, but I'm unable to find a rule on this. The closest thing I can find is 10-906(9).


Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Sixer #176311 03/29/08 11:40 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 60
R
Member
Rule 24-104, in the "Patient Care" section, mandates the use of a insulated bonding conductor, unless insulated by way of a non conductive raceway or by the construction of the cable containg the conductor.

Rule 4-036(1) mandates that a insulated grounding or bonding conductor be green or green with a yellow stripe.

Using any other color as a bonding or grounding conductor, is permitted only if the conductor is a #2 or larger and if it is permanetly re-identified as required by 4-036(1b) and "no", tape is not adequate in my books.

Last edited by Rick Kelly; 03/29/08 11:41 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Featured:

Tools for Electricians
Tools for Electricians
 

* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Member Spotlight
sparky66wv
sparky66wv
West Virginia
Posts: 2,236
Joined: November 2000
Top Posters(30 Days)
dsk 5
Popular Topics(Views)
284,597 Are you busy
217,292 Re: Forum
203,651 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5