ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 382 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
It's good to see you posting back; too many don't.

How did the job hunting go yesterday morning? or today?

Design-Build isn't supposed to mean design *as* you build.
Cat Servant
I suppose the lesson is ... resilience!

It's not unusual for one local to be 'full up,' while another in the next county to be crying for members.

Keep trying, keep plugging away. Or, I pig latin: No Est bastardum Carborundum.

Originally Posted by renosteinke
... Keep trying, keep plugging away. Or, I pig latin: No Est bastardum Carborundum.

I have also seen this as Illegitimi Non Carborundum

For the Latin challenged: Don't let the b*st*rds grind you down! smirk

A
adroga Offline OP
job hunting is at a slow crawl now.. i get my cv's out in bunches.

try to talk to as many people as i can when i can.

Unfortunately i have a half decent job and because i have a mortgage i can look full time, but i still am trying to get myself out there as best i can.

S
There's a huge slump in the construction industry right now in many areas, and it's got to be affecting hiring across the field. Even if you're not looking at a construction job, those laid off/underemployed from their housing-boom constuction jobs are competing with you for the jobs that are availible.

If this is the case in your area, take heart- these things are cyclical, it *will* get better!

A
adroga Offline OP
I think I may have landed my first job...

I start monday eve..I am nervous as hell...

if you guys can give me any advice.. anything..

He told me the basic tools I will need.. all I am missing is a saw and Im getting a new bag for my tools which is bigger and can stand on its own instead of the leather pouch I have thats cramped..

thanks for all the encouragement guys

U
Do as the others do.

If they wear tool belts, do the same. If they have bags, or caddy trays, do the same. If they wear or don't wear gloves - do the same.

Little things like that get picked up on, and it makes an impression. There's a good bit of "sizing up"that happens in first few days and weeks with new co-workers.

J
Originally Posted by u2slow
Do as the others do.

If they wear tool belts, do the same. If they have bags, or caddy trays, do the same. If they wear or don't wear gloves - do the same.

Little things like that get picked up on, and it makes an impression. There's a good bit of "sizing up"that happens in first few days and weeks with new co-workers.

This is excellant advice. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and a damn fine idea besides.

Also, don't be afraid to get hands-on. What electricians want is what ANY other trade wants - someone willing to learn to do the work. It sounds too easy but you would be surprised at how many new hands are all too willing to watch you do everything and never ask any questions. That is NOT help.

Have a sense of humor and realize you're going to get picked on like everyone else. Don't get mad, pick back.

A
adroga Offline OP
thanks for the advice...

did i mention i am feeling a little nervous...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard