ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#175357 02/27/08 10:01 PM
Z
Zapped Offline OP
Interesting link showing 1,301 fluorescent lamps illuminated solely by magnetic field. What do you think?

http://gizmodo.com/361390/1301-florescent-bulbs-lit-solely-by-magnetic-fields

S
Someone is being a modern day Tesla.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
S
I think "art" like this does more harm tham good. It looks cool and all, and the geek in me would love a print, but I think it's far more likely a thinly disguised publicity stunt to draw attention to the supposed dangers of electromagnetic radiation from power lines. All it does is confuse laymen and cause irrational fear.

By the way... did you know that american beef contains ATOMS, just like nuclear power plants????? And that the FDA says this is acceptable?!?!?? Ban dihydrogen monoxide, it's been linked to every single recorded of cancer fatality since the cold war! MSG turns to *salt* in your body, *and* is an unpronouncable scary-sounding acronym! Why would you injest something like that???

Last edited by SteveFehr; 02/28/08 07:46 AM.
G
All the scuba divers on this site also know that Oxygen is poisonous.
How about a governemt program to eliminate all of that harmful Oxygen in the atmosphere??

smile

Ghost307
G
I have a 250kv power line over my boat house and I have never been able to duplicate that ... and I have tried.

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I have a 250kv power line over my boat house and I have never been able to duplicate that ... and I have tried.
Interesting artical about it here:
http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/exclusive/2004/pylon_ambience/index.html

He reports that "during the show, we soon discovered that if people link hands, hold onto a tube and collectively jump, everyone gets quite a big electric shock."

The effect is not as dramatic for just one person, but can still be felt.

"People act as aerials collecting the radiation. The more people that hold hands the greater the amplification of the radiated voltage is."

He said the tube glow brighter while the person or people are off the ground.

The most number of people he saw do this at once that night was six.

Pears also described another phenomenon. "As you walk up to the tubes, which are buried in the ground by about 6 inches, the tubes go out. When you move away they light up again. This is because your body is a better conductor of the electromagnetic radiation than the air is, so your body shorts out this potential to the ground."

G
I guess I will go try it again. I would like some free light in my boat house, maybe I need to ground one end of the tube or something. I have to admit I was holding the tube when I was playing with this. I did try a long "antenna" of wire and a big coil with no obvious effect.

Greg Fretwell
T
Don't see the harm in it, myself. I say *yawn*, but if it serves to entertain
and mystify the unwashed masses then no harm done. I have heard tell that once upon a time in this very same England they used to get similar results from the public by travelling the countryside displaying pig's bones as saint's relics and rotten fenceposts as pieces of the true cross, much to the wonder and astonishment of suckers of the day. Add a glowing punch & judy show, maybe re-badged with sunglasses and those kids from "the matrix" and you'de have something that would astound all comers. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard