ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
derater Offline OP
Permissible or not ? I'm all resi, and just never paid any attention to this issue. Thanks

J
JBD Offline
Originally Posted by derater
Permissible or not ? I'm all resi, and just never paid any attention to this issue. Thanks

Yes absolutely receptacles are allowed above drop ceilings.

However you may not use them to feed a flexible cord, because 400.8 does not allow flexible cords above ceilings.

Low voltage transformers (wall warts) may be plugged directly into the receptacle if they are Class 2 devices and their output cord is not one of the NEC prohibited flexible cord styles. another use for these receptacles would be for portable/temporary equipment (i.e. work light)that is removed prior to "closing" the ceiling.

G
As long as someone wants me to provide a receptacle above the ceiling for those purposes, I'm fine with it.
But as soon as they say that they want it to plug something into it and leave it (like a condensate return pump), I get antsy. I don't want to be part of their violation of 400.8; I wish that the Code was worded differently...it seems to be trying to fix one problem by addressing a different issue.

Ghost307

Link Copied to Clipboard